cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you plan to use all of your tax return to pay off DEBT?

tag
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do you plan to use all of your tax return to pay off DEBT?

I won't be able to pay off anything, but I will apply most of my tax return to paying on my debt.
TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 41 of 49
Not_the_Point
Regular Contributor

I'll probably save it for a rainy day. No debts to speak of right now, though I'm about to buy a house so there's a good chance it'll go into some minor repairs and such as those come up Smiley Happy

8/27/10 -
TU FICO 768
EQ FICO 763
EX PLUS 732

Message 42 of 49
Regular Contributor

I have some debt so I used the majority of it to pay off 3 credit card balances I was carrying.  Should see a boost in my scores very soon!

However, every year I try to treat myself to something with my taxes so it is paying for my vacation Smiley Happy  If I could, I would adjust my withholdings and take that money right away each paycheck, but my employer takes out more of my commission check (I work in Sales), so it's hard to estimate the best withholding.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: 7/8/10: TU - 738 EQ - 750
Previous Score: 1/22/10: TU - 703 EQ - 714
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 43 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

http://www.cnbc.com/id/35563653
Message 44 of 49
laz98
Senior Contributor

i wish i had a return to spend!  we are going to owe money.
Message 45 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only had about 1200 in debt but yes I did pay it off with taxes Smiley Happy
Message 46 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Large tax refunds are like a big ball of cheese that sits in a dark corner for a year. The inflation mice just hack away it it untill you find it at the end of the year. Mean-while, one keeps accruing finance charges with the exterminater while spending the year trying to figure out why there are more and bigger mice populations around the house as the year progresses.
Message 47 of 49
Gnut
Established Member

I have a son that was born in 08 and I was expecting his mother to file him so I never changed any tax info with my employer. Im getting back 4500 so im happy. Ive taken tax classes in college and ideally, at the end of the year you shouldnt have to pay anything in or receive a refund either. That is the perfect scenario, so you should change your dependents and witholdings accordingly but im sure most people are in the  pay in or receive a refund back category. Neither is better than the other imo, but as far as the ops question of course in gonna pay off some debt but im not using it all for that reason alone. Have to do something nice for my baby and something for me as well.
Message 48 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

the returns are goings to smaller if after you pay back all those taxes they haven't been holding out last year
Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.