Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you really need store cards?

tag
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Do you really need store cards?

Do you really need store cards for best score possible?

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Do you really need store cards?

Message 2 of 16
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Because I remember seeing a blip from a CRA (don't remember what one) that said I had a good mix of credit with retail cards. I really dont want any store cards. And was just wondering if you really need them for scoring purposes. Something like a good mix of credit. and im not talking about installments. ect.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 3 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

You already have TONS of store cards. If anything I would suggest closing some that you don't need. At this point, adding another credit card of any sort isn't going to help with credit mix. You're way past that point IMO.

Message 4 of 16
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Im not wanting to add another...

so back to my original question...

Message 5 of 16
blondy250
Established Contributor

@jeffery581 wrote:

Nonsense.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 6 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:

@jeffery581 wrote:

Nonsense.

Actually, I don't think it is nonsense!  Look at http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/closing-credit-card-dings-credit-score-3.aspx (interview with FICO product manager)

The credit mix (is) like 10 percent -- and that looks at the proportion of different kinds of credit. The big categories would be credit cardsand mortgages and auto loans. But then within credit cards, it breaks it down into whether you have bank cards or department-store cards. If you close off all your bank cards and they get deleted from your report in a few years, and all you're left with is department-store cards, that can hurt your score a little bit. Down the road that can hurt you, but that's a very minimally weighted part of the scoring. For most people, it's not going to matter a whole lot.

And it goes on to say this if you have to choose, having all bank cards is better than having all store cards, but there is a (small) benefit to having both, so the answer to the OPs question about the "best score" is probably "Yes", albeit small.
Message 7 of 16
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I wonder how many retail cards are needed for max effect. 3?

I am tired of looking over so many accounts and want to close some cards but just wanting to know how many I should leave open for max benefit.

Message 8 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jeffery581 wrote:

I wonder how many retail cards are needed for max effect. 3?

I am tired of looking over so many accounts and want to close some cards but just wanting to know how many I should leave open for max benefit.

One is all you need for that purpose.  In the same way you don't need 2 mortgages or 2 car loans.

Message 9 of 16
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

No.  You can see my scores and I don't have any store cards.  I don't need them, and I don't want them.  At one time they were helpful because there were some stores (like Macy's) that would not accept any other cards - debit cards have changed that forever, so now they accept the cards.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.