cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you regret closing any of your accounts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you regret closing any of your accounts?

Yikes. I wouldn't close a Sallie Mae with a $500 limit, let alone $10000....

I do regret closing my Banana Republic card. I closed it because I wasn't using it, but that was back when I didn't understand the importance of AAOA. I should have just sock drawered the card.

Message 31 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 32 of 59
kdm31091
Super Contributor

While closing the Sallie Mae with a huge limit may be something you regret, sometimes you just need to trim the fat. It can be overwhelming dealing with multiple accounts and payments to make constantly. Yes, the SM rewards are great, but if you are overwhelmed with cards I don't think it's worth it. Obviously it's a personal decision as to what point is overwhelming. I personally don't think I could go beyond 5-6 cards at the most.

Message 33 of 59
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I've closed several and don't regret any of them.

Message 34 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 35 of 59
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I reget closing couple of my accounts. Barclay Rewards $10,000, and Barclay Sallie Mae $10,000.. Do you regret of closing any of your accounts?

I personally haven't regretted closing any cards that I've closed, and I've closed 3 credit cards and a Bill me Later account. I keep thinking about closing the Citi DoubleCash that I PCd from the Dividend, but I can't decide for sure if I should or not. I don't really use it because I don't want to have to keep up with another account with very little benefit to me. The only thing stopping me is that it's my 4th lowest APR (15.99%) and one of my higher limits. If I can get BoA to lower my sky high APR of 19.99% on my Cash Rewards, and 18.99% on my Better Balance card after my 0% intro expires, the Citi will likely be on the chopping block.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 36 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 37 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't believe in closing accounts unless it's costing me an annual fee.

I have close to 60 accounts, worrying about AAoA is for the other guys.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 38 of 59
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

I've only willingly closed two CCs.   I closed AMEX prior to BK, so I definitely do not regret that!   More recently, I closed Credit One and I have no regrets!   They did their job and I outgrew them.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 39 of 59
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't believe in closing accounts unless it's costing me an annual fee.

I have close to 60 accounts, worrying about AAoA is for the other guys.  Smiley Very Happy

Amen! 

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 40 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.