cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you still have your.......................

tag
Boragard
Established Contributor

Re: Do you still have your.......................

Nope. My first credit card was a Citi Platinum card that I applied for in college when I was 18. It had an $800 limit. The credit card company closed it, not me. My mother told me to charge the rest of my tuition on it and she would pay it off...she did not, I fell behind on payments. I remember I was so far behind they wanted $547 just for the minimum payment. Of course me being a freshman I didn't have it, so they closed it & I paid it off in 2005 luckily it fell off my credit report last year!
Message 11 of 57
Boragard
Established Contributor

Oh wow, those are like 'keep sake' cards now nice those stores are closed....how I miss those stores.
Message 12 of 57
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Very first CC that you received? My sister got her Sport Chalet VISA on April 2012 and plans to keep up as a memory. It looks just like this)

I think my very first CC was an MBNA UCR Alumni Association card.  I'm pretty sure I chopped it in half and threw it away after my BK.  I managed to get that thing up to a $10500 CL.  Ugh.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 13 of 57
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Do I still have my first CC?

Yes!

Is it still open?

No!

Sears - 1996

(I also have my first non-store VISA by BOA 1998, but was co-signed by pops...my first non-store CC was a Delta Amex, which was closed by Amex once my repo reported, I no longer have in my posession.)

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 14 of 57
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

I still have all of my original cards, in mint condition, which I started collecting in the early 1980s.  I did a lot of traveling back then, so I made a hobby of collecting regional & department store cards

About half of them are the "princess cut" size (which are not as tall as most standard-sized cards), and most of those were intended to be actually pressed through a carbon paper inprinting machine, and so do not have a magnetic stripe.

Some of the younger folks may not realize that all credit cards had the account imformation embossed on the hard plastic for the purpose of mechanical imprinting at the point of sale.  Those mechanical imprinters are virtually non-existent, now - which is why many of the newer cards do not have raised embossing at all.

I saved my early cards, with the idea that they might rise in value to future collectors.  And indeed they have - but not enough to justify the effort required to sell them, at this point... maybe in a hundred years.

Message 15 of 57
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

I still have all of my original cards, in mint condition, which I started collecting in the early 1980s.  I did a lot of traveling back then, so I made a hobby of collecting regional & department store cards

About half of them are the "princess cut" size (which are not as tall as most standard-sized cards), and most of those were intended to be actually pressed through a carbon paper inprinting machine, and so do not have a magnetic stripe.

Some of the younger folks may not realize that all credit cards had the account imformation embossed on the hard plastic for the purpose of mechanical imprinting at the point of sale.  Those mechanical imprinters are virtually non-existent, now - which is why many of the newer cards do not have raised embossing at all.

I saved my early cards, with the idea that they might rise in value to future collectors.  And indeed they have - but not enough to justify the effort required to sell them, at this point... maybe in a hundred years.

It's nice to see that SOME stores (various types) do keep the slide style as well as the press style in the event their computer systems go down, and can't not swipe a card.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 16 of 57
GOldfishes
Contributor

Still have my BoA Cash Rewards. First card. It's in a binder clip with a bunch of other cards inside of a drawer.

Experian: 734 Equifax: 765 Transunion:776

BoA Cash Rewards($6500)|Fidelity Investment Rewards AMEX($5000)|Chase Freedom($4000)|
Chase Sapphire Preferred($6500)|Amex PRG ($NPSL)|Amex SPG($6000)|Amex Business Gold Rewards($NPSL)|Amex BCE ($10,200)|Citi AA Exec ($10,500)|
Message 17 of 57
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Very first CC that you received? 

Unfortunately no, due to BK.

Message 18 of 57
Elcid89
Contributor

Very first CC that you received? My sister got her Sport Chalet VISA on April 2012 and plans to keep up as a memory. It looks just like this)

Yes, I've kept the card through multiple bank mergers. It was the first credit I ever obtained in my name, way back in the early 1970s.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 19 of 57
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I still have my old cards from when I was 18 and didn't know any better. Unfortunately  the accounts themselves have been closed.

Capital One Platinum Visa (with the Starry Night image design)

Sears Gold MasterCard (actually issued by Sears National Bank back then before Citi took them over)

Fleet Bank Fusion Visa (it had a cool smart chip which I never used...this was before EMV)

They're still in a drawer with some other cards I'd acquired along the way and I keep them to remind me  to never go back to the place I was back then.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 20 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.