Frequent Contributor
Boragard

Re: Do you still have your.......................

Nope. My first credit card was a Citi Platinum card that I applied for in college when I was 18. It had an $800 limit. The credit card company closed it, not me. My mother told me to charge the rest of my tuition on it and she would pay it off...she did not, I fell behind on payments. I remember I was so far behind they wanted $547 just for the minimum payment. Of course me being a freshman I didn't have it, so they closed it & I paid it off in 2005 luckily it fell off my credit report last year!

Garden Start 11/18/2014.
 photo costcoamexchip_zps3a781f9d.png photo greenemv_zps23c675fd.jpg photo chaseemv_zpsed238ae0.jpg photo doublecash_zps3421657b.jpg photo arrival_zps66de46b3.jpg photo bankamericard_zps1caf2fc1.png photo slate_zpsaa8b71b8.jpg
Frequent Contributor
Boragard

Oh wow, those are like 'keep sake' cards now nice those stores are closed....how I miss those stores.

Garden Start 11/18/2014.
 photo costcoamexchip_zps3a781f9d.png photo greenemv_zps23c675fd.jpg photo chaseemv_zpsed238ae0.jpg photo doublecash_zps3421657b.jpg photo arrival_zps66de46b3.jpg photo bankamericard_zps1caf2fc1.png photo slate_zpsaa8b71b8.jpg
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
SunriseEarth

BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Very first CC that you received? My sister got her Sport Chalet VISA on April 2012 and plans to keep up as a memory. It looks just like this)

I think my very first CC was an MBNA UCR Alumni Association card.  I'm pretty sure I chopped it in half and threw it away after my BK.  I managed to get that thing up to a $10500 CL.  Ugh.  

Start: 619 (Wally, 9/2013) | Current: 674 (Wally, 11/8/14), 703 (EQ myFICO 8/13/14)
Care Credit $10200 | JCP $5000 | Walmart Store $5000 | Amazon Store $5000 | AMEX BCE $4500 | Cap 1 QS1 $4000 | AMEX Costco TE $3500 | Macy's Special Events $2900 | Macy's Revolving $2500 | CU Visa $2500 | Sony Card $2500 | Macy's AMEX $1500 | Citi DC WMC $1200 | Merrick $1200 | VS $1150 | Gold Violin $1150 | Target $1000 | ~~Gardening Since 11/14/14
Valued Contributor
Repo-ed

Do I still have my first CC?

Yes!

Is it still open?

No!

Sears - 1996

(I also have my first non-store VISA by BOA 1998, but was co-signed by pops...my first non-store CC was a Delta Amex, which was closed by Amex once my repo reported, I no longer have in my posession.)

Frequent Contributor
NonSufficientFunds

I still have all of my original cards, in mint condition, which I started collecting in the early 1980s.  I did a lot of traveling back then, so I made a hobby of collecting regional & department store cards

About half of them are the "princess cut" size (which are not as tall as most standard-sized cards), and most of those were intended to be actually pressed through a carbon paper inprinting machine, and so do not have a magnetic stripe.

Some of the younger folks may not realize that all credit cards had the account imformation embossed on the hard plastic for the purpose of mechanical imprinting at the point of sale.  Those mechanical imprinters are virtually non-existent, now - which is why many of the newer cards do not have raised embossing at all.

I saved my early cards, with the idea that they might rise in value to future collectors.  And indeed they have - but not enough to justify the effort required to sell them, at this point... maybe in a hundred years.

Valued Contributor
Repo-ed

NonSufficientFunds wrote:

I still have all of my original cards, in mint condition, which I started collecting in the early 1980s.  I did a lot of traveling back then, so I made a hobby of collecting regional & department store cards

About half of them are the "princess cut" size (which are not as tall as most standard-sized cards), and most of those were intended to be actually pressed through a carbon paper inprinting machine, and so do not have a magnetic stripe.

Some of the younger folks may not realize that all credit cards had the account imformation embossed on the hard plastic for the purpose of mechanical imprinting at the point of sale.  Those mechanical imprinters are virtually non-existent, now - which is why many of the newer cards do not have raised embossing at all.

I saved my early cards, with the idea that they might rise in value to future collectors.  And indeed they have - but not enough to justify the effort required to sell them, at this point... maybe in a hundred years.

It's nice to see that SOME stores (various types) do keep the slide style as well as the press style in the event their computer systems go down, and can't not swipe a card.

Contributor
GOldfishes

Still have my BoA Cash Rewards. First card. It's in a binder clip with a bunch of other cards inside of a drawer.

Experian: 734 Equifax: 765 Transunion:776

BoA Cash Rewards($6500)|Fidelity Investment Rewards AMEX($5000)|Chase Freedom($4000)|
Chase Sapphire Preferred($6500)|Amex PRG ($NPSL)|Amex SPG($6000)|Amex Business Gold Rewards($NPSL)|Amex BCE ($10,200)|Citi AA Exec ($10,500)|
Valued Contributor
takeshi74

Very first CC that you received? 

Unfortunately no, due to BK.

Contributor
Elcid89

Very first CC that you received? My sister got her Sport Chalet VISA on April 2012 and plans to keep up as a memory. It looks just like this)

Yes, I've kept the card through multiple bank mergers. It was the first credit I ever obtained in my name, way back in the early 1970s.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Valued Contributor
injustifiiable

I still have my old cards from when I was 18 and didn't know any better. Unfortunately  the accounts themselves have been closed.

Capital One Platinum Visa (with the Starry Night image design)

Sears Gold MasterCard (actually issued by Sears National Bank back then before Citi took them over)

Fleet Bank Fusion Visa (it had a cool smart chip which I never used...this was before EMV)

They're still in a drawer with some other cards I'd acquired along the way and I keep them to remind me  to never go back to the place I was back then.

Scores 6/17/2014: TU FICO: 643 | EQ FICO: 675 | EX AMEX FICO: 666

In my new wallet: American Express Premier Rewards Gold EMV: NPSL | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | BarclayCard Rewards Average: $2000 | Travelocity Rewards AMEX: $1050 | Discover IT: $1500 | Amazon Rewards Visa: $1500 | Sportsman's Guide Visa: $3000 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $1250 | Target: $400 | J.Crew $5950

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}