cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think AMEX will show me more LOVE?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you think AMEX will show me more LOVE?

Guys, I'm getting in a real sweat for another AMEX card, specifically the PRG Charge Card. But since I've acquired 3 new cards with them within the last 3 months, I'm getting discouraged from applying, but at the same time, I know they really like me and appreciate my business. Take a quick look at some data points:

8/17/16 - Instantly Approved for Blue Cash EveryDay with $1,000 CL (4 statements in)

8/17/16 - Application for Delta SkyMiles Gold put on hold for 4 days, then Approved with $10,000 CL! (3 statements in)

9/29/16 - Instantly Approved for Green Charge Card (NPSL) (2 statements in)

62 Day CLI on Delta SkyMiles Gold doubling CL to a total of $20,000!

EXP score up 17-20 points since last application.

Anybody know of any unpublished application rules such as number of approvals in a certain amount of months or anything?

Definitely would appreciate your guys' advice on whether or not this is the right time for another application, maybe closer to Christmas?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Do you think AMEX will show me more LOVE?

I don't know of any rule per se but, I'd slow my roll before you trigger a 4506 / FR.  Just to be on the safe side maybe wait until you're a good 6 months into the relationship with them before pulling the trigger on another app.  Then again there's some around these parts that have apped everyday for 60 days to get their card they wanted with amex w/o any AA.  

I think I saw around here somewhere that there's a hard limit of 5 cards though per person.  

Message 2 of 7
noobody
Established Contributor

With Amex, a declined application USUALLY result a soft pull, so there is no harm to try.
If i were you, i would NOT try double my delta card credit line unless i really need it, as you have to control your overall exposure with any particular lender.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 3 of 7
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@noobody wrote:
With Amex, a declined application USUALLY result a soft pull, so there is no harm to try.
If i were you, i would NOT try double my delta card credit line unless i really need it, as you have to control your overall exposure with any particular lender.

While it's indeed a SP to try and HP if approved it's a little aggressive to open 4 cards in 3 months.  Once your overall exposure hits about $35K you'll be prompted for the 4506 for a financial review most likely with this timeline.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Op I have to ask.. why do you want so many Amex cards?
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife hit that credit limit wall. She has two personal cards with them. A 20k SPG AmEx and had a 12.5k BCP. Could not CLI the BCP past 17.5k without it triggering the extra income verification stuff. Right there is when I realized that I have to be REALLY strategic as to what cards you want to have what Credit Limits. You can do credit reallocation after 13 months I believe. You know yourself the best and if you really need 20k on a Delta Gold, but I would take that CLI as well and just move the limits around later! Smiley Happy

As for your general questions, I was with AmEx about 9 months with a BCE ($500 Limit) before I started getting more cards with them. 

(Added to a new SPG as AU in Jan)

Delta / SPG approved same day in March

Platinum in May

(Added to a new BCP as AU in May)

PRG in in July

SPG Biz in October. 

It's been pretty much back to back since the beginning of the year. I've never been 'denied' due to applying to close to another card. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Guys, I'm getting in a real sweat for another AMEX card, specifically the PRG Charge Card. But since I've acquired 3 new cards with them within the last 3 months, I'm getting discouraged from applying, but at the same time, I know they really like me and appreciate my business. Take a quick look at some data points:

8/17/16 - Instantly Approved for Blue Cash EveryDay with $1,000 CL (4 statements in)

8/17/16 - Application for Delta SkyMiles Gold put on hold for 4 days, then Approved with $10,000 CL! (3 statements in)

9/29/16 - Instantly Approved for Green Charge Card (NPSL) (2 statements in)

62 Day CLI on Delta SkyMiles Gold doubling CL to a total of $20,000!

EXP score up 17-20 points since last application.

Anybody know of any unpublished application rules such as number of approvals in a certain amount of months or anything?

Definitely would appreciate your guys' advice on whether or not this is the right time for another application, maybe closer to Christmas?

Is there a need to have both the Green and the PRG?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.