cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think App Sprees are a good idea? or bad?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do you think App Sprees are a good idea? or bad?

@BluePoodle wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I pretty much only spree with long stretches of gardening in between.  Napkin math (making some simplifications) it's better for one's FICO, that said, spreeing without a plan is a receipe for short and possibly mid-term credit pain.  As a result I wouldn't bother with Shopping Trick and a slew of store cards unless I shopped there and the rewards associated with the card were better than I could get on a national bank card.  

Trying to keep the explanation simple: the FICO algorithm is completely time dependent other than a few instant in time things like utilization calculations, but this absolutely holds for payment history.  Inquiries are negatives, and arguably short accounts are too though that's somewhat debatable, but a longer tradeline is a better tradeline, so a tale of two different application strategies:

1) 1 new credit card every six months, starting today, looked at one year from now:

• 1 card, 12 payment entries, 12 months age
  • 1 card, 6 payment entries, 6 months age
  • 1 card, 0 payment entries, 0 months age

= 3 cards, 18 positive payment entries, an average age of 6 months, and 2 inquiries within the last year

2) 3 credit cards application spreed then gardening for said year:

• 1 card, 12 payment entries, 12 months age
  • 1 card, 12 payment entries, 12 months age
  • 1 card, 12 payment entries, 12 months age

= 3 cards, 36 positive payment entries, an average age of 12 months, and 0 inquiries within the last year

In this small isolated example, FICO wise it's easy to point at #2 and say spree's FTW, and in general this holds true for most people other than the edge case of long yet thin files where there's a harsh AAOA penalty involved with this (though have to rip off the bandaid sometime and establish a thicker file but I digress).

In any event, when it comes to FICO you want your tradelines established as soon as possible, and any negatives aging as soon as possible.  The exception to this is if you know you have a house or possible car purchase coming up, in which case hold off on comparitively trivial things like credit cards, but if you wind up having to impulse buy a car, on average you're better off with the spree methodology.  Oh, and also bonus offer churners where it's slightly different too. 

Generally for optimizing one's report: if you want a card, and you can reasonably expect to be approved, and if you don't have a big ticket item coming up, go out and apply for it right now given the time dependent nature of the algorithm.  This heavily favors spree-methodology, just make certain that the card is actually useful; again to reiterate, always have a plan before making any application as impulse credit-gathering is often a foolish exercise.

Thank you for posting this. Great examples. How would you view this same example for thicker files?  Also one important factor that you post in your example is 12 months of gardening for aging the accounts. 

What is considered a decent or good AAoA. We all talk about it, but what is considered preferred or excellent for underwriting?

If you don't let time heal the application wounds, then the 1 application every six months might be to your advantage, but while not explicitly stated, I'm hugely against picking up credit cards just for the sake of having credit cards, in that unless you have a very complicated financial life, having 20 personal cards doesn't make much sense to me.  I much prefer fewer, higher quality tradelines than spreading things out that thin, plus I'm fundamentally lazy and trying to keep even 9 cards active and utilized seems too much like work to me personally Smiley Happy.

Also regarding the gardening for a year: short tradelines are always sketchy from an underwriting perspective, not certain where lenders fall some are likely 6 months and others 12 months, before they are comfortable with your taking on additional tradelines; also when building, you usually have to go in stages before you can qualify for the next tier of credit cards.  I basically did 3 steps, secured / subprime, entry level rewards, decent rewards, with the glaring exception of my impulse Amex Zync application back in 10/12.  Gardening makes you look more stable from an underwriting perspective, I like looking stable and "normal" when it comes to dealing with lenders personally... lot of good reasons to maintain application discipline, or gardening as we label it here on the forums.

When it comes to thick files, the standard: get any negatives out of the way as soon as possible still holds true, and given that AAOA is a cumulative calculation, the earlier the tradeline is established the better off it is.   As a result thick files taken as a whole, spree methodology works there too.  Thin files are the awkward case, both from an AAOA perspective (20 years on a single tradeline -> 5 years now with 4 tradelines, 3 new, though 5 years AAOA is still very good) but they also will get some benefit points wise from mix of credit by thickening their file (2 open revolving and 2 open installment apparently anecdotally to maximize things especially with FICO 8 and presumably newer models) 

Regarding AAOA, my personal opinion and at least from what I've seen from approvals and what not, the most important AAOA benchmark is 2 years, and anything over 5 years is something of a wash (diminishing returns in the algorithm).  Obviously longer is better, and likely lender underwriting opinion will vary wildly (Penfed I'm looking at you!), but in general for most things if you have a good file and an AAOA north of 2 years, there isn't a whole lot credit wise you can't be approved for... about the only cards I really want that I have no shot at now would be the JCB Makurai card and the Cash+, pretty much the rest of my use cases are covered, and my file isn't clean; it's not terrible from an underwriting perspective anymore but there's still several paid derogs on it which I'm stuck waiting for another 4ish years to age off.

That all said credit cards aren't that hard to obtain these days, but I was always trying to gain a mortgage for the past year and change, and there, stability is king.

        
Message 21 of 62
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

The best scenario is to go on an apree spree then garden for two years.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 22 of 62
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

That all said credit cards aren't that hard to obtain these days, but I was always trying to gain a mortgage for the past year and change, and there, stability is king.

Out of curiousity what credit cards do you own and at what limits?

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 23 of 62
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@tonyjones wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Out of curiousity what credit cards do you own and at what limits?

Stated in order of listed "Open Date" of still open accounts cut and paste from another thread, Zync listed at 1 as NPSL for calculation purposes though high balance on it is 11.3K.  Note the BCP was acquired at the same time the USAA / Chase Freedom / Walmart cards were and backdated to the year earlier hence it's out of order.  Also there's a now closed Cap 1 nee Orchard card which would've been slotted between the BOFA and Amex BCP on open date.

Credit CardBalanceLimitUtilization (%)  
BOFA Travel Rewards025000  
Amex BCP090000  
DCU Secured020000  
Amex Zync010  
USAA CC026000  
Chase Freedom010000  
Walmart4216002.6  
Fidelity Amex26975003.6  
Sallie Mae044000  

        
Message 24 of 62
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

Two years ago I went on a spree and obtained an insane number of cards (I believe I got 8 or 9 out of 12-15 apps).  Since then all my accounts have aged 2 years and all the INQs are off my report.  My scores are higher now than they were then.  Because of this I was able to get 2 new cards I really wanted (Freedom and BCE).  And because of this the 2 new cards will have a minimal impact on my AAoA. 

If your scores and reports support it, I say go for as much as you can get and then garden.  Be patient and and let the garden grow.  Later you will be in a position to get what you really want (and close some of the crap you got in the spree).

I do NOT recommend a 2nd spree.  Get 1-3 cards you actually want after you garden (I waited 2 years, YMMV).

BTW - I included store cards in my spree  but only the ones I would actually use.  Cards like Lowes and Amazon help when you can make a large purchase and pay no interested for 6 months or more.  I did not get and do not recommend getting store cards "just to have them".

Message 25 of 62
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I pretty much only spree with long stretches of gardening in between.  Napkin math (making some simplifications) it's better for one's FICO, that said, spreeing without a plan is a receipe for short and possibly mid-term credit pain.  As a result I wouldn't bother with Shopping Trick and a slew of store cards unless I shopped there and the rewards associated with the card were better than I could get on a national bank card.  

Trying to keep the explanation simple: the FICO algorithm is completely time dependent other than a few instant in time things like utilization calculations, but this absolutely holds for payment history.  Inquiries are negatives, and arguably short accounts are too though that's somewhat debatable, but a longer tradeline is a better tradeline, so a tale of two different application strategies:

1) 1 new credit card every six months, starting today, looked at one year from now:

• 1 card, 12 payment entries, 12 months age
  • 1 card, 6 payment entries, 6 months age
  • 1 card, 0 payment entries, 0 months age

= 3 cards, 18 positive payment entries, an average age of 6 months, and 2 inquiries within the last year

2) 3 credit cards application spreed then gardening for said year:

• 1 card, 12 payment entries, 12 months age
  • 1 card, 12 payment entries, 12 months age
  • 1 card, 12 payment entries, 12 months age

= 3 cards, 36 positive payment entries, an average age of 12 months, and 0 inquiries within the last year

In this small isolated example, FICO wise it's easy to point at #2 and say spree's FTW, and in general this holds true for most people other than the edge case of long yet thin files where there's a harsh AAOA penalty involved with this (though have to rip off the bandaid sometime and establish a thicker file but I digress).

In any event, when it comes to FICO you want your tradelines established as soon as possible, and any negatives aging as soon as possible.  The exception to this is if you know you have a house or possible car purchase coming up, in which case hold off on comparitively trivial things like credit cards, but if you wind up having to impulse buy a car, on average you're better off with the spree methodology.  Oh, and also bonus offer churners where it's slightly different too. 

Generally for optimizing one's report: if you want a card, and you can reasonably expect to be approved, and if you don't have a big ticket item coming up, go out and apply for it right now given the time dependent nature of the algorithm.  This heavily favors spree-methodology, just make certain that the card is actually useful; again to reiterate, always have a plan before making any application as impulse credit-gathering is often a foolish exercise.

Thank you for posting this. Great examples. How would you view this same example for thicker files?  Also one important factor that you post in your example is 12 months of gardening for aging the accounts. 

What is considered a decent or good AAoA. We all talk about it, but what is considered preferred or excellent for underwriting?

If you don't let time heal the application wounds, then the 1 application every six months might be to your advantage, but while not explicitly stated, I'm hugely against picking up credit cards just for the sake of having credit cards, in that unless you have a very complicated financial life, having 20 personal cards doesn't make much sense to me.  I much prefer fewer, higher quality tradelines than spreading things out that thin, plus I'm fundamentally lazy and trying to keep even 9 cards active and utilized seems too much like work to me personally Smiley Happy.

Also regarding the gardening for a year: short tradelines are always sketchy from an underwriting perspective, not certain where lenders fall some are likely 6 months and others 12 months, before they are comfortable with your taking on additional tradelines; also when building, you usually have to go in stages before you can qualify for the next tier of credit cards.  I basically did 3 steps, secured / subprime, entry level rewards, decent rewards, with the glaring exception of my impulse Amex Zync application back in 10/12.  Gardening makes you look more stable from an underwriting perspective, I like looking stable and "normal" when it comes to dealing with lenders personally... lot of good reasons to maintain application discipline, or gardening as we label it here on the forums.

When it comes to thick files, the standard: get any negatives out of the way as soon as possible still holds true, and given that AAOA is a cumulative calculation, the earlier the tradeline is established the better off it is.   As a result thick files taken as a whole, spree methodology works there too.  Thin files are the awkward case, both from an AAOA perspective (20 years on a single tradeline -> 5 years now with 4 tradelines, 3 new, though 5 years AAOA is still very good) but they also will get some benefit points wise from mix of credit by thickening their file (2 open revolving and 2 open installment apparently anecdotally to maximize things especially with FICO 8 and presumably newer models) 

Regarding AAOA, my personal opinion and at least from what I've seen from approvals and what not, the most important AAOA benchmark is 2 years, and anything over 5 years is something of a wash (diminishing returns in the algorithm).  Obviously longer is better, and likely lender underwriting opinion will vary wildly (Penfed I'm looking at you!), but in general for most things if you have a good file and an AAOA north of 2 years, there isn't a whole lot credit wise you can't be approved for... about the only cards I really want that I have no shot at now would be the JCB Makurai card and the Cash+, pretty much the rest of my use cases are covered, and my file isn't clean; it's not terrible from an underwriting perspective anymore but there's still several paid derogs on it which I'm stuck waiting for another 4ish years to age off.

Thank you for sharing this.  I agree that I would prefer to have less cards for the simplicity of keeping track of them and utilizing spend.  I also just want to give my daughter good advise when she graduates as to how to deal with these issues. My experience has been from error and trial, literally. But I'd like to steer her in a direction where she makes better choices and uses common sense. However, I feel like common sense in some ways is an oxymoron in regards to credit and scores (pay off a loan = score goes down) kind of issues. Thank you again for sharing. I think my situation is similar to yours with a couple od derogs in am suck with through May of 2020. Only one by then, but one is enough!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 26 of 62
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

I guess I should say that this is not the advice I gave my son.  He has a chance to start off right and keep it right.  I added him to one of my cards when he was 16 and advised him to get one card when he turned 18.  He will be 19 in a few days and he still has just the one card.  I may suggest another card soon but would never suggest an app spree for someone so young.  IMO, a spree is only good for someone who is starting over.

Message 27 of 62
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@Middleswarth wrote:

I guess I should say that this is not the advice I gave my son.  He has a chance to start off right and keep it right.  I added him to one of my cards when he was 16 and advised him to get one card when he turned 18.  He will be 19 in a few days and he still has just the one card.  I may suggest another card soon but would never suggest an app spree for someone so young.  IMO, a spree is only good for someone who is starting over.

I agree many 18-19 year olds are not mature enough to handle it. I think there are some on the boards here that have shown great financial maturity though so it is not a blanket statement. My daughter has one. I think when she comes back from Thanksgiving or Christmas break I will suggest she apply for an Amex card. But after that, I think she should graduate from college (in two years).  She will be 21 when she graduates with her undergrad. I think before she heads for grad school she could handle a small ap spree to establish more credit because I assume she will want a house after she gets her masters, so having her cards before then with another 2 years to age would help her for her mortgage. 

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 28 of 62
elim
Senior Contributor

Regarding consumers with many (10+) low limit store cards. Let's say they spree'd and got a bunch of these cards, 1 year later 3 of them have 3k to 4k limits on them while the others stayed the same (300 to 500). If they close the 7 cards that weren't able to CLI, their AAoA would be exactly the same as if they only applied for 3 cards. The difference in the scenario would be the 7 "closed by consumer" TL's on there CR's. I have seen quite a few people that have found this place and their first post is "look at my 12 new cards" all low limit store cards. What should they do???

Message 29 of 62
elim
Senior Contributor

Or would their AAoA still be damaged? hrmmmm, I think AAoA includes closed accounts?

Message 30 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.