cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think I could get a cli on any of these cards??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you think I could get a cli on any of these cards??

Ok, I am in a ton of debt, I know that. But I am a senior in college and working a not so great job till I graduate, so I do need credit, at least for now, and I am not planning on using more, but I want to improve my credit and thus am looking for higher limits. So, my question is, should I even bother trying to get a cli or would it be a waste of an inquiry? I have almost 5 years credit history and have never missed any payments or had a late. No collections or anything on my credit. Here are my cards: Wells Fargo 5,600, 7 k limit Cap 1 0 balance 1200 limit Cap 1 2,500 balance, 3 k limit Discover 2 k balance, 3k limit Citi, 0 balance, 500 limit. Side note on my citi, it used to be a 2500 limit, but a year ago the did a cld. No reason. I was last declined for an increase 8 months ago.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you think I could get a cli on any of these cards??

For some reason that posted as one paragraph! Sorry, no clue why
Message 2 of 7
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

I would venture to say that increases are not likely because of your overall high utilization, but that is just my guess.

Message 3 of 7
ChrisW
Valued Member

In my past experiences I've learned that CCC do not like giving CLI's when cards show high balances. If it were me I'd save the HP's and try to pay them down first.
8/2012 TU 693 EQ 698
9/14/2012 TU 718 (Discover's score included in welcome letter)
9/14/2012 EX 717 (Amex Score)

Discover More $4000, Chase Freedom $6000, Amex BCP $6000, Barclays/Juniper $3600, Care Credit/GEMB $5000, Orchard Bank $1850
Message 4 of 7
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Unfortunately no go on the cli.  Uti to high lower it first then ya should be good.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 5 of 7
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@AZHeather wrote:

I would venture to say that increases are not likely because of your overall high utilization, but that is just my guess.

Unfortunately I would have to agree. Until you get util down, creditors will see you as higher risk, and will be thus be unlikely to grant any cli requests 

That's not to say you can't try, just that you would probably not be successful 

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, I am in a ton of debt, I know that. But I am a senior in college and working a not so great job till I graduate, so I do need credit, at least for now, and I am not planning on using more, but I want to improve my credit and thus am looking for higher limits. So, my question is, should I even bother trying to get a cli or would it be a waste of an inquiry? I have almost 5 years credit history and have never missed any payments or had a late. No collections or anything on my credit. Here are my cards: Wells Fargo 5,600, 7 k limit Cap 1 0 balance 1200 limit Cap 1 2,500 balance, 3 k limit Discover 2 k balance, 3k limit Citi, 0 balance, 500 limit. Side note on my citi, it used to be a 2500 limit, but a year ago the did a cld. No reason. I was last declined for an increase 8 months ago.

Welcome to the forums Leah!

CLI's don't improve credit directly; the biggest thing you can do (besides never being late or under the minimum payment on a card) to help your credit score is to begin to pay down the balances.  I know that's difficult as a student with a crummy job, but you have more than enough credit cards for your report to produce a solid score, and you have fairly good limits compared to many people who stumble across this forum.  That's doubly true as a student.

In any event, I'd put any future credit applications / CLI's / etc on hold until graduation and a better job is obtained with hopefully better income.  As long as you continue to make on-time payments, your payment history will improve, and once you get your balances paid down, you'll be in a pretty eviable position. Smiley Happy

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.