cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use cards specifically to get a CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you use cards specifically to get a CLI?

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

Do you use your cards with the specific intent of getting a CLI? That's pretty much become a way of life for me. For example, I'll pass the supermarket to goto Walmart so I can do my grocery shopping and use that card. I also plan when I'm paying my bills so certains cards can be used. My credit lines have grown to where I want them to be so it's worked pretty good. Now I have to get used to thinking a little different.

Yeah I do the same thing; I think about what the bank is looking for from me Smiley Happy Dumb, right?

No, it's not dumb. You have found a system that works for you. It's all that matters.Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 33
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

i rotate my cards so they all get some usage, just to make the banks happy.  my everyday go-to card is my venture, i like building up miles to cash in on my hotel for vacation.  however every now and then ill switch it out and use discover or barclays as my go-to card for a month or so just to show heavier usage in hopes of getting good CLI's.  so far this rotating system is working out pretty good.

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 12 of 33
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

No.  I use my cards specifically for the points and so that my debit card, which is attached to my checking account, isn't at risk of identity theft.

When someone gets a hold to your debit card information, it wipes out your cash and leaves you unable to pay your bills timely while it's being disputed.  Sometimes it takes a month or two before it's straightened out.  When it's your credit card, they notify you of suspicious activity and close it down.  In the meantime, you can still pay your bills without having to cash out emergency savings.  

I've seen it happen to others and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@masscredit wrote:

The same with my JCP card. I can buy clothes anywhere else but I'll travel 20 minutes to shop at that store and use the card. 

Another thing is, I can have cash in my pocket but I'll use a card just to give it use and then pay it off before the statement closes most of the time. 

To each their own but I really do not understand why you would have a card that you would not normally use yet go out of your way (20 mins) just to spend on it for something you did not want......

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

Do you use your cards with the specific intent of getting a CLI? That's pretty much become a way of life for me. For example, I'll pass the supermarket to goto Walmart so I can do my grocery shopping and use that card. I also plan when I'm paying my bills so certains cards can be used. My credit lines have grown to where I want them to be so it's worked pretty good. Now I have to get used to thinking a little different.

Yeah I do the same thing; I think about what the bank is looking for from me Smiley Happy Dumb, right?

Not dumb at all - it worksSmiley Wink

Some folks say this is simply a 'meme' - and just like me they are entitled to their opinion - but I can personally say high usage has been effective at driving higher CLIs, at least for me.  I have also received CLIs with minimal usage, but my most generous CLIs have always been after significant usage - especially with Capital One. 

Of course your overall credit profile is a major factor - that's "Credit-101" - but once that is cared for one of the few things left that we can directly impact is usage.

I emphatically agree with your entire post UncleB.

Message 15 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JcT21 wrote:

i rotate my cards so they all get some usage, just to make the banks happy.  my everyday go-to card is my venture, i like building up miles to cash in on my hotel for vacation.  however every now and then ill switch it out and use discover or barclays as my go-to card for a month or so just to show heavier usage in hopes of getting good CLI's.  so far this rotating system is working out pretty good.

Finding a system that works for you... Priceless!

Message 16 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I go for the reward-maximizing option unless I think I need price protection or some other benefit.

I only want high CLs on cards I'd want to spend a lot on, anyway.

Message 17 of 33
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

Running 10k a month through amex, bofa, discover and cap1 in hopes of increases

Gardening 25JAN16 - 25JUL16

Message 18 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@masscredit wrote:

absolutley. that is how I got a SP cli on my DC, and a 8x cli on my BOA Amtrak card.  

I am also considering accepting a BT or two from a family member because I want to show more activity on a card.  Believe me they ain't running away I have keys to their home lol.

I also assume my care credit got to 15k from helping out relatives. Most of my charges were only 2 or 3 k, theirs were over 6.  I need to get to a CVS to keep this card open lol.

I was thinking about running all spend on the DC for now, but their SP CLIs are so little I will probably just take a HP.  If I just got a SP CLI in december, I wonder how high my limit could go if I paid off my $700 balance and took a HP for CLI?  This card is also at no interest until feb 2017.

Message 19 of 33
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

While I certainly do absolutely agree with the to-each-their-own and find-a-system-that-works-for-you philosophies — after all how someone else handles their finances is certainly none of my business — I definitely don't spend on a card in hopes of getting a CLI and think doing so could potentially lead to some unfortunate consequences.

As others have pointed out, the best reasons (again subjective to some extent I suppose) for using a credit card is to maximize rewards and increase purchasing security. I think that the absolute biggest credit pitfall a person can fall into is spending more than they normally would just because it's on a credit card. Obviously it's worse if the person also can't really afford the thing they're buying to begin with, but even if they easily can, it's still a needless waste of financial resources. Either you need/want the thing anyway and would legitimately buy it regardless...or you're basically just wasting money. On very rare occasions it can make sense if that one transaction is legitimately the difference between meeting or not meeting a spending requirement...sure, of course spend an extra $20 to get an extra $200 in rewards (IF you're already that close), but it makes no financial sense to spend an extra $3,000 you wouldn't have spent anyway (or would only have spent like half of normally) to get $200 in rewards.

Personally, I think one of the other biggest pitfalls people fall into with credit is fixating too much on credit limits. Spending with the primary purpose of getting a higher credit limit (whether it works or not) just doesn't make financial sense to me. As CarefulBuilder mentioned, what's even the point of having a high credit limit on a card you don't need? I mean of course higher credit limits are better for utilization and having and responsibly managing credit cards is great for building a good credit score - but fixating so much on the credit limit that you spend money you wouldn't otherwise be spending just takes it too far in my opinion. The whole point of having a good credit score should be to save money on interest, get better terms, and qualify for loans and credit (you need), but you can definitely negate the benefits of a good credit score if you're chronically overspending to get it.

I'm certainly not saying people shouldn't buy stuff they want but don't actually need (as long as the person can afford it without risking their financial security). I spend quite a bit on things I don't need but want - especially eating out. It's one of my biggest spending categories and obviously it's pretty much ALL unnecessary. But I really do want to go out to eat. I'm not doing it just to get rewards or increase spending on a card for bonuses or CLIs. I'd still be doing it if I were paying cash.

Again it's certainly none of my business what people spend their money on - and frankly I think trying to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't buy or being judgmental about it is one of the most obnoxious things a person can do. I'd just encourage anyone to think before they swipe their card and decide what kind of value they're getting for their purchase. To me a need is obviously fine. A want is also fine as long as I'm not going in debt for it. But for me spending on something I don't particularly need or want for the sake of a CLI or rewards is very much a losing value proposition.

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.