cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use cards specifically to get a CLI?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Do you use cards specifically to get a CLI?

@Anonymous wrote:

I use the cards that will maximize my return, period.  There are cards that offer more benefits than others and that drives my decision on which card will be used.  In taking that approach, I don't always get the CLI amount on the cards with minimum use, i.e. Capital One for one, but that is okay.  With Cap One, it isn't my income, score, debt to income ratio, or utilization that prevents a 3K to 4K increase, it strictly I don't use them as I did a couple of years ago.  Now I must say the cards that I use frequently, I Do get great CLI

Now that makes more sense to me than my approach.

You want to make the best use of the cards for your purposes.

I want the banks to like me.

I'm the dumb one, because banks are never going to like me. The minute I don't serve their purposes, they'll cut me off at the knees Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 21 of 33
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

Do you use your cards with the specific intent of getting a CLI? That's pretty much become a way of life for me. For example, I'll pass the supermarket to goto Walmart so I can do my grocery shopping and use that card. I also plan when I'm paying my bills so certains cards can be used. My credit lines have grown to where I want them to be so it's worked pretty good. Now I have to get used to thinking a little different.

Yeah I do the same thing; I think about what the bank is looking for from me Smiley Happy Dumb, right?

No, it's not dumb. You have found a system that works for you. It's all that matters.Smiley Happy

I say it's dumb because I should use the cards in the way that serves my purposes, rather than trying to please the banks.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 22 of 33
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

The same with my JCP card. I can buy clothes anywhere else but I'll travel 20 minutes to shop at that store and use the card. 

Another thing is, I can have cash in my pocket but I'll use a card just to give it use and then pay it off before the statement closes most of the time. 

To each their own but I really do not understand why you would have a card that you would not normally use yet go out of your way (20 mins) just to spend on it for something you did not want......

My JCP card was the example. I use it but there are time when I could drive 5 minutes to Target but instead, I take the extra ride to do some shopping at JCP. 

I think I was unclear on something in my origional post. I wasn't inplying that I buy things that I don't need to be able to use my cards with hopes of improving my CLI chances. I'm going to be buying them anyway, so I'll focus on certain cards to give them additional use if I'm planning to try for a CLI.  My Barclay Rewards card is another example. I'd like to see that receive another increase so it's my daily card for gas, small purchases and to pay utilities. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I just use whatever card works for me at the time.  You can put all the use you want on it, if your FICO scores are lower than they want, you won't get anything in the way of CLIs. 

Message 24 of 33
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Right now, yes. Trying to get cap1 to show some luv on my QS with a measly $1.3k limit, so it's my daily driver. Normally, though, I use whatever card gets the best rewards back.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@masscredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

The same with my JCP card. I can buy clothes anywhere else but I'll travel 20 minutes to shop at that store and use the card. 

Another thing is, I can have cash in my pocket but I'll use a card just to give it use and then pay it off before the statement closes most of the time. 

To each their own but I really do not understand why you would have a card that you would not normally use yet go out of your way (20 mins) just to spend on it for something you did not want......

My JCP card was the example. I use it but there are time when I could drive 5 minutes to Target but instead, I take the extra ride to do some shopping at JCP. 

I think I was unclear on something in my origional post. I wasn't inplying that I buy things that I don't need to be able to use my cards with hopes of improving my CLI chances. I'm going to be buying them anyway, so I'll focus on certain cards to give them additional use if I'm planning to try for a CLI.  My Barclay Rewards card is another example. I'd like to see that receive another increase so it's my daily card for gas, small purchases and to pay utilities. 

I didn't think you were unclear at all. For a while I was consentrating on getting CLI's from Discover so it was my daily driver. The 2 percent cashback helped, too. Once that promo ends my plan is to make my Freedom my daily driver in the hopes that Chase will give me a softpull CLI. I already got one on my CSP after using it as my daily driver for a week. 

Message 26 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Right now, yes. Trying to get cap1 to show some luv on my QS with a measly $1.3k limit, so it's my daily driver. Normally, though, I use whatever card gets the best rewards back.

Do you expect to close PRG and Venture? Or you just think the $1,300 CL looks ugly on your CR?

Message 27 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wouldn't it make more sense to just close the cards that aren't important to you? Less hassle that way. 

Message 28 of 33
masscredit
Valued Contributor

That would be taking them in the opposite direction. I give them use so they will grow. I only have one card that doesn't grow. That's my Merrick. It was a rebuilder but I keep it around. It's usually hidden in my car incase I leave the house without my wallet. I started doing that after it happened to me last year.

The things that I've mentioned helped me to reach my credit goals. I keep a list of all of my cards, the date that they were opened, credit limits and then each increase after that. I also note the date to try for my next increase.  

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 29 of 33
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I rotate all my cards every month or two but I've been putting most of my spend on Discover ever since they offered the double cash back deal in June/July. Discover has rewarded me with 3 CLIs since July. I started with a $6K CL in July and I'm now at $20.5K so I do think running spend through a card you are trying to get CLIs on works.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.