cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use your BCE? (If you have one)

tag
black_citi
Established Contributor

Re: Do you use your BCE? (If you have one)

Yea I use mine

Mainly for gas but sometimes groceries. I don't have a lot of cards I'm really interested in. I want the freedom but chase won't approve me for anything. Same thing with Discover. I have no interest in any other bank cc's. Just cap1 and amex and my dcu plat card are all I use.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 31 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I use mine once a month. I buy a grocery gift card equal to what I will spend for the month in groceries and gas. I just like it this way so I can make one charge per month and pay it off instead of a charge each week for groceries. I hope that I will get 3% back on gas doing this, but Amex takes so long to post rewards to statements, I have not been able to confirm if it works. I have used a couple of Amex offers, but most of the offers that show up on my account are for places that I wouldn't shop or have never heard of. So for me, the Amex offers are disappointing. And since I'm not sure if I am getting 3% back on groceries by using my gift card method, I really don't know if the BCE is a benefit or not.

There have been reports of the gift card thing not working correctly (and only getting 1%), but I doubt they scrutinize everyone's transactions in this amount of detail. I think most people who say it does not work are doing it in very large volumes.

If I don't get the 3%, it won't be that big of a deal. I can always go back to swiping the BCE without using the gift card method and using it for 2% on gas. 1% difference on $80/mth for gas won't kill me. I just do it this way for convenience, so I can make one charge and pay it off. But I am curious to know if I have been getting 3% on groceries and gas this way. Amex is so slow on their rewards!

Message 32 of 33
wmweeza
Established Contributor

I use mine about twice a month, around Christmas maybe 6 times

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.