cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you want to apply inside the store for 10%-15% discount during Christmas?

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Do you want to apply inside the store for 10%-15% discount during Christmas?

Do you want to apply for the store card to get 10%,15% discount inside the store duringChristmas? I went to AE, BB, Old Navy and others and they all asked if I want to apply for the card. I told them I already have the card. I think it might be easier to get approved inside the store. I might want to apply inside the store back 10-20 years ago.

Ron. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pkosheta
Contributor

Re: Do you want to apply inside the store for 10%-15% discount during Christmas?

The lure of discounts can be very tempting, giving in once may be ok, but with so many other cards with better sign-up bonuses there is a better deal to be found.  Nancy Reagan gave the best advice.  "Just Say No."  She was refering to store cards right?

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 2 of 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Do you want to apply inside the store for 10%-15% discount during Christmas?

@pkosheta wrote:

The lure of discounts can be very tempting, giving in once may be ok, but with so many other cards with better sign-up bonuses there is a better deal to be found.  Nancy Reagan gave the best advice.  "Just Say No."  She was refering to store cards right?

I did it once inside the store many years ago. It was Old Navy store card. 

Ron.

Message 3 of 8
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

Do you want to apply for the store card to get 10%,15% discount inside the store duringChristmas? I went to AE, BB, Old Navy and others and they all asked if I want to apply for the card. I told them I already have the card. I think it might be easier to get approved inside the store. I might want to apply inside the store back 10-20 years ago.

Ron. 

When it comes to store cards that do not have good deals online, or you can risk a hard pull and sans the shopping cart trick, and you actually REALLY want the card and will shop at that store frequently, then I would highly recommend applying in store. There are many benefits to this:

1.) Instant approval and use of the card to use in store, online, whenever! The beauty of temp cards, plus you have your CC# at hand immediately. Also you have the option of paying your card at the register as soon as you want!

2.) Instant promos, and if the card is a rewards card, immediate accumulation of points. For example, the JCP card offers 20% at account opening with 10% on jewelry, watches, and home, good for 24 hours. Using the card immediately gives you these discounts PLUS accumulation of reward points. Every $100 = $10 coupon for the next month, up to $100 worth of coupons every month.

3.) Building a relationship with a salesperson(s). As a JCP employee, opening up an account for a customer lets me bond with that customer! While opening up the account, we tend to chichat about the card, the store, and life in general! Also, we like that extra $2 in our paycheck plus recognition from the company! It makes us happy, and happy associates mean happy customers! Plus, if I've adequately bonded with that customer, and I see them again, I immediately go to them and help them out, and vise versa. They know I'm there to help and wind up having a positive experience at the store!

That's my two cents Smiley Tongue Also, in the application process at JCP, though I've never ever used it (likely something they do more for furniture, which our store doesn't have), they have a "pending amount" option. So if you know a customer has $500 worth of purchases sitting there and it would make or break the sale if they get approved or not, entering the pending amount will result in a more likely chance of approval for a line of that amount or greater. Also benefits the customer, knowing they have the spending power they desired!

Message 4 of 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

Many neighbor applied for the store cards for the discounts. She ended up 10-15 stores cards inside her wallet. Smiley Happy  I got the store cards because the discount coupons and private sale. Other than it is not really usefully.  Store cards is good for credit rebuilding. It is easier than Visa/MC.

Ron.

Message 5 of 8
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

For me, I save my credit for bigger thing than toy store cards.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 6 of 8
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Google slickdeals.  You don't need a credit card to get 15-20%off.  ONGIFT is 15% for old navy.  The rest you have to search for yourself.  stack that with shop discover and you got a real deal.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 7 of 8
DailyDriver
Valued Member

I have not, but I know some people who have.  Although it is usually for a larger amount than 10%-15%.  The two most common for people I know are Macy's (always getting exclusive coupons in the mail) and Kohl's (a lot of time to get 30% off instead of 20%, you need the store card).

It seems like 10-20 years ago Sears was a good store card to have (and they were supposedly on the conservative side), but recent reviews appear negative.

Citi Forward $6K l Citi Double Cash $7K l Chase Sapphire Preferred $10.3K l Discover IT $12K l Chase Freedom $5K l Chase United 10k l Chase Slate 7.2k l Amex Hilton HHonors $12.1K l NFCU GoRewards Visa 16.6K l Barclay US Airways World Mastercard $8K
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.