cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do your credit cards find out if you lose your job?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do your credit cards find out if you lose your job?

Had a bad day a couple days ago. Politics at work happened and I was the chosen one. I'm gonna take a break and go see some family. I have enough money to pay my bills, so I am not worried about that, nor my prospects of becoming employed again soon. Still, it makes me wonder.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do your credit cards find out if you lose your job?

No they won't find out unless you tell them or if they suddenly ask for income verification (unlikely). Sorry to hear about what you're going through, just remember when one door closes, another one opens.

Message 2 of 20
budwiser
Contributor

Sorry to hear about your bad day. One closed door always has a better open door awaiting. To answer your question though, I think your credit report has your job listed as your occupation. I do not think it gets wiped out because you lost your job. The bureau would still report it until you get another job.

I lost my job 6 months ago and it still reports my previous employer as my employer.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear that you lost your job. Good job keeping your head up! Been there done that. 

Just to add to what the other members were saying: CRAs report the jobs that you put on your auto loan, home loan, and maybe even credit card applications. Other than that there is really no way for them to find out if you were fired, laid off, quit, etc. 

Enjoy your time with the fam and good luck in the upcoming job hunt! 

Message 4 of 20
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Some employers - mostly large private sector and .gov - participate in theworknumber.com.

Some credit card issuers do the equivalent of a soft pull on theworknumber to check employment

status reported. I work for a participating company and I see that Amex does a SP on me at

theworknumber about once a year. That is the only way that I know that a credit card issuer can check on

employment, but it depends on employer participation which is very far from 100%.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase did some online verification of my employment with the State. Of course I also report my net income for repaying debt so the lady asked if my income I stated was correct and I immediately knew she had the real data and I explained to her the reason for the huge difference between the numbers.

As far as getting notified it would be up to you and complying with your credit card agreement.

Message 6 of 20
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Had a bad day a couple days ago. Politics at work happened and I was the chosen one. I'm gonna take a break and go see some family. I have enough money to pay my bills, so I am not worried about that, nor my prospects of becoming employed again soon. Still, it makes me wonder.

Good Luck to you Arlo. Most of us has been through it too.

Message 7 of 20
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@bada_bing wrote:

Some employers - mostly large private sector and .gov - participate in theworknumber.com.

Some credit card issuers do the equivalent of a soft pull on theworknumber to check employment

status reported. I work for a participating company and I see that Amex does a SP on me at

theworknumber about once a year. That is the only way that I know that a credit card issuer can check on

employment, but it depends on employer participation which is very far from 100%.

Very interesting. thanks for the info.

Message 8 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to hear that you lost your job. Good job keeping your head up! Been there done that. 

Just to add to what the other members were saying: CRAs report the jobs that you put on your auto loan, home loan, and maybe even credit card applications. Other than that there is really no way for them to find out if you were fired, laid off, quit, etc. 

Enjoy your time with the fam and good luck in the upcoming job hunt! 

Think virtually all of the employment information in the CRA's report databases is self-reported.  

On one I have a random contracting agency from 2011, and another my old gig from a company which no longer exists from 1996-97.

@Other sources as mentioned are usually what's used.  @OP: unless you tell them or otherwise make them go look, they won't bother.  There's lots of reasons to be between gigs (or no gig, someday I'll retire, hopefully), nobody said boo when I was chasing self-startups for a year but I also didn't ask for a whole lot during that time and my bills kept getting paid.  End of the day if you're not going late and not demonstrating a pattern with balances that spooks them, it's incredibly unlikely that they'll go looking (costs them additional money to look, bad business practice to do that generally at least with how the market is now).

        
Message 9 of 20
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase did some online verification of my employment with the State. Of course I also report my net income for repaying debt so the lady asked if my income I stated was correct and I immediately knew she had the real data and I explained to her the reason for the huge difference between the numbers.

As far as getting notified it would be up to you and complying with your credit card agreement.

Surprised Chase did the online check. I wonder what triggered that? Were you transferring a huge balance?

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.