cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do your credit cards find out if you lose your job?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do your credit cards find out if you lose your job?

@bada_bing wrote:

Some employers - mostly large private sector and .gov - participate in theworknumber.com.

Some credit card issuers do the equivalent of a soft pull on theworknumber to check employment

status reported. I work for a participating company and I see that Amex does a SP on me at

theworknumber about once a year. That is the only way that I know that a credit card issuer can check on

employment, but it depends on employer participation which is very far from 100%.

I have heard that Amex does check employment/income this way, but I had no idea that they SP it yearly. I figured it was just once when you first apply or something.

Are you aware of any other ones that do it (do you see any other SPs on yours)?

Message 11 of 20
taxi818
Super Contributor

@budwiser wrote:

Sorry to hear about your bad day. One closed door always has a better open door awaiting. To answer your question though, I think your credit report has your job listed as your occupation. I do not think it gets wiped out because you lost your job. The bureau would still report it until you get another job.

I lost my job 6 months ago and it still reports my previous employer as my employer.

In this case. It only shows what you put on there. Bring self employed. It has nothing about my employment. Don't worry. Keep looking. Any make your payments. If any. 

Message 12 of 20
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bada_bing wrote:

Some employers - mostly large private sector and .gov - participate in theworknumber.com.

Some credit card issuers do the equivalent of a soft pull on theworknumber to check employment

status reported. I work for a participating company and I see that Amex does a SP on me at

theworknumber about once a year. That is the only way that I know that a credit card issuer can check on

employment, but it depends on employer participation which is very far from 100%.

I have heard that Amex does check employment/income this way, but I had no idea that they SP it yearly. I figured it was just once when you first apply or something.

Amex is the only card issuer that shows up pulling my employment at theworknumber. The only

information shown on an unauthorized theworknumber pull is employer name and last reported

date, which in my case is every payday. 

If you give permission by requesting and giving out an access code, they can pull a much more

detailed income report that lists every paycheck and bonus I've received for the last 10 years. Card

issuers have never asked for this from me, but mortgage originators have.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bada_bing wrote:

Amex is the only card issuer that shows up pulling my employment at theworknumber. The only

information shown on an unauthorized theworknumber pull is employer name and last reported

If you give permission by requesting and giving out an access code, they can pull a much more

detailed income report that lists every paycheck and bonus I've received for the last 10 years. Card

Wow, very interesting. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Message 14 of 20
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@bada_bing wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bada_bing wrote:

Yes. Thanks for the info. Good to know, that you have to have your ducks in a straight row, before apping at AMEX.

Message 15 of 20
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

I just noticed on your tagline, that you a have a huge 50k limit at Amex. Which is great, but could this be the reason for the Amex job verification?

Message 16 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Had a bad day a couple days ago. Politics at work happened and I was the chosen one. I'm gonna take a break and go see some family. I have enough money to pay my bills, so I am not worried about that, nor my prospects of becoming employed again soon. Still, it makes me wonder.

Hey I'm sorry to hear this, even though it sounds like you will easily rebound it still sucks to have to deal with a sudden change like this, but no a credit card company isn't going to find out unless you tell them or your employer participates in the program mentioned above.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 17 of 20
RandomSpirit
Regular Contributor

I think you are fine. Sorry for your loss, enjoy your time off. 

My employment has never been current on my CR's all three show very old info. I'm talking 7-20 years old as far as employment history. So, I dont think Amex checked my employment, but then again my SL was only 10k.   

Message 18 of 20
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@RandomSpirit wrote:

I think you are fine. Sorry for your loss, enjoy your time off. 

My employment has never been current on my CR's all three show very old info. I'm talking 7-20 years old as far as employment history. So, I dont think Amex checked my employment, but then again my SL was only 10k.   

Thanks for the info.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, unless you self report it, which can be disastrous (read: don't do it). I've had many jobs and even though I report my current employer TU and EFX still don't have my current employer listed; they both however, have my employer from over 10 years ago still on there! 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.