cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do your lower limit cards annoy you?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do your lower limit cards annoy you?

Of course they do. It takes time to grow.  You pick and choose what you want to add, and what you want to cut lose.  I dont even want a card with a limit above 20k that is crazy for what I spend lol...because knowing me they would all end up that high and that is wayyy to much for me.

Now 15k seems just about right for me.  Its more than 5k, but nothing exotic like 25k.  Maybe it feels safe lol.

Message 41 of 50
impactplayer
New Contributor

Only if they are difficult to get CLIs with. My Wells Fargo Platinum was my first credit card and it's gone up $1,500 in 5.5 years despite me putting over $100k through it and maintaining a WF checking and savings with significant balances. They always deny me for SP CLI request even with a FICO 8 above 800 across all three bureaus. And I am not going to burn a HP request on that crappy card. 

Message 42 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@impactplayer wrote:

Only if they are difficult to get CLIs with. My Wells Fargo Platinum was my first credit card and it's gone up $1,500 in 5.5 years despite me putting over $100k through it and maintaining a WF checking and savings with significant balances. They always deny me for SP CLI request even with a FICO 8 above 800 across all three bureaus. And I am not going to burn a HP request on that crappy card. 

Did you consider opening any extra accounts for their bonuses in those 6 years

Message 43 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use my Mom as comparison.  She's a 800 Club.  Has 2 Credit Cards.  Cash Plus and USAA.  She's admitted to having over 30k limits. She's content with them being her only cards. I lol'd at the Poster who said their dad scoffed at an AmEx $25k approval. I feel you man.

Ive got my 650.00 Victoria's Secret, $1k Usaa Classic and new $1k BoA cash.  My lowest cards.  Only card I have any issue with, is the USAA because it doesn't have any rewards that benefit my profile.  That dinky little 650.00 Vickies Secret has rewards, and though I have to really keep on top of payments because of a low limit and horrid APR, doesn't bother me a bit.  Why? Rewards baby. Rewards matter more to me than how high my limit is.  Sure, it feels so freakin good to have a large limit, but actually getting something for using the card matters more to me as time progresses.

Devil's advocate, having at least one card at a high limit helps, can make a large purchase with it!

I realize now my next move, at 12 months see if the USAA graduates if not, toss it. Small limit or not!

Message 44 of 50
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

They do, actually. Mainly because I don't want to have a thousand cards and I hate having to play the CLI game. But what I consider "low limit" is probably a bit different than most on this forum ($2k and below seems low imo). $10,000 is a perfect number for me, but there's no reason not to see how far a card can go. I'd probably stop at $25k though. Just based on my spend, there's no need for it to be higher than that for me personally.

My goal is to get my last 2 cards over $10k. The only other card I want is a CSP and that's a couple of years off for a variety of reasons. I'm really glad the majority of my cards in college were low limit cards though. Can't imagine the trouble I would have gotten into when I was young, poor, irresponsible, and the victim of family identity theft.

Message 45 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There's a very intoxicating, possibly childish joy that comes your first $10K or higher, then $20K or higher card. There's also somewhat of a buzzkill when analyzing your lineup and seeing some of your starter cards with their impossibly small limits. You sort of feel better when considering the boost they provide your AAoA, but nevertheless wish they were bigger and are unsettled by how small and pedestrian they are.

Does anyone else feel this way or even care what their average credit line is per bank or overall? I think once you've hit a certain point with your credit score, the little things like this are all that's left to mull over, at least until that shiny new plastic comes out that you just have to have. =P

If you asked me a few years ago when I didn't have good limits I would say that it pissed me off that I didn't. Today, I could care less. I remember when I was trying so hard to get my Credit Dumb card up to $1,000 for my first $1,000 limit. I also remember how excited I was when my QS hit $5,000. Boy how times have changed. Now the lowest limit I have is $5,000. But the fact of the matter is I rarely have balances over $300-$400 and if I do I pay them off as soon as it posts. So my high limits don't really do me any good. I have an emergency fund and another savings account so I don't depend on credit as much as other folks. I supposed if I didn't have those things I'd depend a little more on credit and use more of my available credit.

But back then, I don't know, it felt like there was something to "prove" to someone, somewhere I guess. So the limits I had ($300 Fees Premiere, $700 Merrick, $500 Credit Dumb) I was tired of them, and even though I knew I was worthy of higher limits, the credit card companies didn't know that. So as time cures everything in the credit world I had to wait until enough time passed when companies started "believing" in me. Now I think how stupid it was worrying about my limits, swinging around my credit dick trying to make it bigger. 

With that said, I did close all the small limit cards. No sense of keeping them open if you aren't going to use them and/or cost you money.

Well said. 

Message 46 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Let's be honest

High credit limits are basically just another version of the "whos got the biggest dick" contest, it's all for show, most people arent stupid enough to run through full 5 digit credit limits or even half way through them

it's just an ego boost.

ROFL!

Message 47 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

In a way, sure, I would like to see some of my cards with higher CL's. 

But then I realize I only want higher CL's just to say I have higher CL's, not because I would actually use them.

Every now and then I think about taking a HP for it but usually talk myself out of it.

I PIF every week and treat my CC's as charge cards so thats what makes me change my mind too.

The only card I would like to see a little higher would be my Citi DC @ $2,000.

A few times a year I will make larger spends and it would be nice to have the option of 2% off.

Message 48 of 50
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Every now and then I think about taking a HP for it but usually talk myself out of it.

I PIF every week and treat my CC's as charge cards so thats what makes me change my mind too.

I PIF weekly too!

My lowest CL card is my 1K Target Card store card...but no it doesn't annoy me because I love the rewards/discount structure and find it incredibly useful. Also, since I do PIF weekly and never spend more than $200-$300 tops (and usually less) in a single shopping trip at Target, there's honestly not that much need for a higher CL.

I do like my big limit 5 digit cards as we're calling them in this thread...but yeah they are just for show. I always PIF them well before they exceed 4 or 5% utilization.

However, all that said I can certainly see how an old card with a toy limit that just won't grow would be annoying to people.

Message 49 of 50
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

The nice thing about Chase Freedom is you can pay as much as you like. When I make a purchase, before it even posts I make a payment to chase and my balance goes in the negative until the actual transaction posts. So basically it is paid for before it even posts. The other day I made a $336.00 purchase, soon as I made the purchase I went to chase made a $400.00 payment my balance went _400.00. My 336.00 transaction posted and now I have a 64.00 credit. Also another thing I like about chase is if your statement cuts with a balance, as soon as you pay the balance off they report it to credit bureau. you don't even have to wait for the next statement cycle.

Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.