cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AMEX close your account for non or low usage?

tag
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

Does AMEX close your account for non or low usage?

Would they cancel my Platinum card if I hardly put anything on it? I figure since I'm paying the $450/year, it shouldn't matter but I wonder about this. I put all my spend on better rewards cards like the Sapphire for UR or Citi Premier for TY points. The only reason I got the platinum is I travel a lot for my job and visit the Centurion lounges on average 8-10 times a month so it's worth the $250 I'm paying for the card, after the $200 credit I get for airline fees. Anyone here heard of cards getting closed by the issuer for low usage even though their collecting an annual fee?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Re: Does AMEX close your account for non or low usage?

low useage - NO

no useage - YES (as any lender would)

if you have a card you'd like to keep, just swipe it every 3-6 months and that will solve your concern.

this is basic CC rules and doesn't require any thinking. If you want it open, swipe it.... If not, don't use it or close it.

Message 2 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

low useage - NO

if you have a card you'd like to keep, just swipe it every 3-6 months and that will solve your concern.

this is basic CC rules and doesn't require any thinking. If you want it open, swipe it.... If not, don't use it or close it.

+1

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@jasonkm1 wrote:

Anyone here heard of cards getting closed by the issuer for low usage even though their collecting an annual fee?

Yes but AmEx will not.  Don't rely on braod sweeping assumptions like that based solely on AF.  THe AF doesn't tell you anything than the fee you'll pay each year.  Also don't just collect random anecdotal evidence to determine how a specific creditor will repsond.  If you want to determine if a creditor will close an account due to inactivity then contact the creditor to verify their policy on the matter.

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

Always think, verify, etc.  I have cards that do not require usage every 3-6 months.  Verify each your creditors' policy on account closure and ensure that you're meeting the minimum activity requirement if there is one.  Don't just assume or call your assumption a rule.

Message 4 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

low useage - NO

I think that is far too broad.   Certainly cards with (substantial) AFs are much less prone to closure, the issuer is getting money from the AF so swipe fees are less of a consideration.    And issuers really vary.   I didn't use an Amex or Cap One for 4+ years and they stayed open.  Other issuers would close within a year.

Message 5 of 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

low useage - NO

I think that is far too broad.   Certainly cards with (substantial) AFs are much less prone to closure, the issuer is getting money from the AF so swipe fees are less of a consideration.    And issuers really vary.   I didn't use an Amex or Cap One for 4+ years and they stayed open.  Other issuers would close within a year.

From my experience they don't really CLD or close accounts for non usage. I have an BCE i haven't used in about 3  years that they still have open with same CL . I don't know if they haven't cld or closed it because i have two other amex cards or not. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 11
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@jasonkm1 wrote:

Anyone here heard of cards getting closed by the issuer for low usage even though their collecting an annual fee?

Yes but AmEx will not.  Don't rely on braod sweeping assumptions like that based solely on AF.  THe AF doesn't tell you anything than the fee you'll pay each year.  Also don't just collect random anecdotal evidence to determine how a specific creditor will repsond.  If you want to determine if a creditor will close an account due to inactivity then contact the creditor to verify their policy on the matter.

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

Always think, verify, etc.  I have cards that do not require usage every 3-6 months.  Verify each your creditors' policy on account closure and ensure that you're meeting the minimum activity requirement if there is one.  Don't just assume or call your assumption a rule.

I simply said to swipe the card so there want be any worries about closure.3-6 months will keep you on the safe side. If OP wants to stress over it... Feel 

free. Best way to keep this short and simple. 

Message 7 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@jasonkm1 wrote:

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

I simply said to swipe the card so there want be any worries about closure.3-6 months will keep you on the safe side. If OP wants to stress over it... Feel 

The question asked about Amex, and they do not seem to have any such "rule".   So, equally, why not say "Use daily". Once you say "basic CC rules" that makes it sound more universal than it in fact is.

Message 8 of 11
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@jasonkm1 wrote:

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

The question asked about Amex, and they do not seem to have any such "rule".   So, equally, why not say "Use daily". Once you say "basic CC rules" that makes it sound more universal than it in fact is.

I didn't say use daily as OP don't seem too interested in using this card as a daily spender....that's why I said. 3-6 months. 

Next  question PLEASE 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

hopefully the sharks score and the penguins be scored

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.