cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AMEX offer a competitive dining card?

tag
Jungook
Regular Contributor

Does AMEX offer a competitive dining card?

I was wondering if American Express offers a competitive dining card to the CSP?

I've been searching through AMEX's list of cards and their cards mainly base around groceries, gas, booking flight tickets, and affiliated partners. None of them really offer dining incentives. Or am I wrong?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Does AMEX offer a competitive dining card?

the only one that i know of is amex costco. It offers 2% CB on restaurants. I don't know if that qualifies as competive or not :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 28
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

the only one that i know of is amex costco. It offers 2% CB on restaurants. I don't know if that qualifies as competive or not :-)

+1

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 28
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

I was thinking about making a similar post about the lack of dining cards. There really is not any good dining cards execpt for the us bank card but i dont have any of them around me and I believe you have to apply in a branch for it. If you have discover it and chase freedom you get 5% back in two different quaters. Chase amazon offers 2%. The new sams mastercard will offer 3%. The sams mastercard will probably be the second most popular card on the boards when it comes out in june with 5% on gas up to 6k and 3% dining and travel including hotels, airline tickets ect. Sallie mae is the most popular card in my book

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 4 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

I was thinking about making a similar post about the lack of dining cards. There really is not any good dining cards execpt for the us bank card but i dont have any of them around me and I believe you have to apply in a branch for it. If you have discover it and chase freedom you get 5% back in two different quaters. Chase amazon offers 2%. The new sams mastercard will offer 3%. The sams mastercard will probably be the second most popular card on the boards when it comes out in june with 5% on gas up to 6k and 3% dining and travel including hotels, airline tickets ect. Sallie mae is the most popular card in my book

I know its not an amex card but as long as we are talking about other cards, there is also an chase aarp card that has 3% on both gas and restaurants. With sams card do you have to be an memeber of sam's club like you have to with costco? We don't have any sams club in my state so that would not be so great for me . Closes US bank is indiana or somewhere , an bit far for me thats like an 12 hour drive. 

Message 5 of 28
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

I know its not an amex card but as long as we are talking about other cards, there is also an chase aarp card that has 3% on both gas and restaurants. With sams card do you have to be an memeber of sam's club like you have to with costco? We don't have any sams club in my state so that would not be so great for me . Closes US bank is indiana or somewhere , an bit far for me thats like an 12 hour drive. 

for sams club card yes I do believe you need to be a member because you have to sign into your account to apply for the card. Do you have any family members in other states that could possibly add you to their account? You would have to go with them to the store cause they take your picture. Amex's card lineup is pretty weak if you ask me. The everyday card would cost me money in rewards to meet the bonus and the BCP AF is just too high to justify over having a combo of sallie mae 5% up to 250 on supermarkets and BOA 2% after that. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Message 6 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

for sams club card yes I do believe you need to be a member because you have to sign into your account to apply for the card. Do you have any family members in other states that could possibly add you to their account? You would have to go with them to the store cause they take your picture. Amex's card lineup is pretty weak if you ask me. The everyday card would cost me money in rewards to meet the bonus and the BCP AF is just too high to justify over having a combo of sallie mae 5% up to 250 on supermarkets and BOA 2% after that. 

Well for me i wanted to get my foot in the door with amex anyways, and i do buy an lot of groceries so make up for AF of BCP within an few months. I don't have any family that lives on east coast they are all on west coast like california. I just wish US bank cash+ could be applied either online or over the phone, its quite the bummer you have to do it in bank. 

Message 7 of 28
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

Well for me i wanted to get my foot in the door with amex anyways, and i do buy an lot of groceries so make up for AF of BCP within an few months. I don't have any family that lives on east coast they are all on west coast like california. I just wish US bank cash+ could be applied either online or over the phone, its quite the bummer you have to do it in bank. 

Where do you do most of your grocery shopping. I do most of mine at target and use the red debit card and get 5% off instanly. I also use their carthwell app on my smartphone, their coupons on the website, and coupons from the sunday paper. It takes a little work but its way better than paying the AF with BCP and having the sallie mae as my backup card.

Message 8 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

Where do you do most of your grocery shopping. I do most of mine at target and use the red debit card and get 5% off instanly. I also use their carthwell app on my smartphone, their coupons on the website, and coupons from the sunday paper. It takes a little work but its way better than paying the AF with BCP and having the sallie mae as my backup card.

I don't shop at any one grocery store I do goto whole foods and trader joes an fair amount.I also just like having an amex card for purchases where I can get an additional one year warranty 

Message 9 of 28
uswala
Senior Contributor

Well, I actaully applied for U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card today on phone, as they do not have any branch in Houston. The rep was very cooperative. He told me that I will have to check my application status on Thursday, so I have my fingers crossed.

Give them a call at 1800-320-2282

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.