cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AMEX really care where you used their cards?

tag
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Does AMEX really care where you used their cards?

So I was browsing the forum's archives, and I came across a few people saying that AMEX monitors their cardholders and where they use their charge and credit cards. A poster (Can't remember the name) even said that AMEX doesn't like their cardmembers to used their charge cards in places like Walmart and supposedly canceled a member's card for that reason. Supposedly, they like to see their members use their cards for upper class reasons.

This all seem silly, and I am not even sure why I am bringing this up. But this is a forum where people can ask questions (as stupid as they may be) and get feedback. I am using my ZYNC for almost all my expenses, and even for silly things, like coffee. I don't care. They know I am a college student. I am not going to be using my card for travel or expensive hotels/dinning places as their super weathly cardmembers do. 

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Does AMEX really care where you used their cards?

While others have mentioned that Amex cares, in my personal experiences I have never had any issues using my Amex card any place including Walmart. As a matter a fact right now Amex and Walmart are advertising together to use your Amex. 

While this could have been a concern from the past in my opinion it no longer exist if it ever did to begin with.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 17
GomerPyle
Regular Contributor

@GoldenloveNY wrote:

So I was browsing the forum's archives, and I came across a few people saying that AMEX monitors their cardholders and where they use their charge and credit cards. A poster (Can't remember the name) even said that AMEX doesn't like their cardmembers to used their charge cards in places like Walmart and supposedly canceled a member's card for that reason. Supposedly, they like to see their members use their cards for upper class reasons.

This all seem silly, and I am not even sure why I am bringing this up. But this is a forum where people can ask questions (as stupid as they may be) and get feedback. I am using my ZYNC for almost all my expenses, and even for silly things, like coffee. I don't care. They know I am a college student. I am not going to be using my card for travel or expensive hotels/dinning places as their super weathly cardmembers do. 

AMEX cares about one thing.  You paying your bill. Pay in full keeps them very happy and paying over time is OK. Just do not take a long time to pay.  Do not pay and you will see how interested they become.

Message 3 of 17
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I don't believe it makes a difference. We live in a small town and WalMart is the most extensive shopping available. We use our AmEx at WalMart all the time. (Discover won't give you your 1% cash back there, even if you have reached their minimum $3k spend to start earning it...so there is no reason to use Discover there.)

Message 4 of 17
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Generally they don't care, BUT if you make a habit of using it heavily at liquor stores, strip clubs, lawyer fees, pawn shops and bail bondsmen types of establishments do not be surprised if you get flagged.  Be sensible, AMEX is the leader in AI in being able to sift and sort data to get an idea if you will end up paying your bill or not.

Message 5 of 17
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

Generally they don't care, BUT if you make a habit of using it heavily at liquor stores, strip clubs, lawyer fees, pawn shops and bail bondsmen types of establishments do not be surprised if you get flagged.  Be sensible, AMEX is the leader in AI in being able to sift and sort data to get an idea if you will end up paying your bill or not.

That one made me laugh. LOL. Thanks for all the responses. I know...I am using my charge card wisely (for everyday expenses). I don't charge large purchases, but I will typically run about 1-1.5K a month through my ZYNC. I paid AMEX last month a few days after my statement closed. My currect statment will close on Friday, and I will make a payment on Saturday. I am sure AMEX will be very please.....

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 6 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

THEY DO NOT CARE as long as it's normal spending for you if charge card, or you work your way up... but on credit card, unless you stop paying large payments or miss payments or other things happen bad on your credit report Amex just wants you to swipe away... it's kind of scary and depressing a little but back in the 2004ish area I drank (as an understatment) I know little different credit time then but I used Amex at this one bar because they took and no it was not labeled any other way like most do now (it showed flat out bar/liquor what not) and I put roughly $25-$30k through it over about a 6 month period, I never even got a call let alone any other issues.

Message 7 of 17
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Ive used my green, gold and BCE at strip clubs, bars even small random spanish restaurants and they dont care. Hel ive used them to buy stripper dollars and nothing.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 8 of 17
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Lmao@jsickz.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Strip clubs, bars, and (gasp) small Spanish restaurants. You really are pushing the limits.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.