Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AMEX remember past history

tag
WJL
New Contributor

Does AMEX remember past history

Hi all - I used to hold AMEX Gold 10 years ago, but AMEX shut it down because I couldn't make the payments and it went into collection. I've paid the balance in settlement about 5 years ago. I do not see AMEX in my credit repot anymore and I'm interested in opening an AMEX account again, but wondering if I apply again, will AMEX see what happened before and just deny me? Looking forward to your many insights. Thanks!

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does AMEX remember past history

Although many have gotten to open an account after a charge off or include in banko, its the exception, not the rule. The rule is, with Amex, they never forget. I have read about people re-apping after a c/o in the 80's, and being declined to previous negative history with Amex.

Message 2 of 26
MrShush
Valued Contributor

It's true, AMEX has a very long memory but there are exceptions to any rule. Permanent blacklisting does exist for some, but for others, they are allowed back in the fray. The WORST that can happen should you decide to apply, they flat out deny you for having a negative history with them. No inquiry, no worries.

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrShush wrote:

It's true, AMEX has a very long memory but there are exceptions to any rule. Permanent blacklisting does exist for some, but for others, they are allowed back in the fray. The WORST that can happen should you decide to apply, they flat out deny you for having a negative history with them. No inquiry, no worries.

+1 

If you apply and are on their blacklist, they won't even pull a CB report.

Message 4 of 26
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

I thought if you burned Amex in the past by NOT paying them in full, that you are blacklisted?  It you paid them in full, they would be more inclined to welcome you back in the future.. I always assumed, for some, that if you applied after burning them in the past, that they would opt to put you on the Oasis program to pay them off, then after sometime you could graduate to a mainstream card product with them?

Maybe one of our  Fico veterans could chime in, as i thought there was a topic sometime ago regarding this?

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 5 of 26
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@KIPPIE12 wrote:

I thought if you burned Amex in the past by NOT paying them in full, that you are blacklisted?  It you paid them in full, they would be more inclined to welcome you back in the future.. I always assumed, for some, that if you applied after burning them in the past, that they would opt to put you on the Oasis program to pay them off, then after sometime you could graduate to a mainstream card product with them?

Maybe one of our  Fico veterans could chime in, as i thought there was a topic sometime ago regarding this?

Not always true Smiley Wink

There doesn't seem to be any logic to the length of the blacklist nor will there be any definitive conclusion. It could be random, it could be luck. It could be THEY want you as a customer so they are willing to forego any previous wrongdoing.

The Oasis program didn't guarantee card membership either and not many CSRs would acknowledge that. It's a mystery. 

Message 6 of 26
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@MrShush wrote:

@KIPPIE12 wrote:

Not always true Smiley Wink

There doesn't seem to be any logic to the length of the blacklist nor will there be any definitive conclusion. It could be random, it could be luck. It could be THEY want you as a customer so they are willing to forego any previous wrongdoing.

The Oasis program didn't guarantee card membership either and not many CSRs would acknowledge that. It's a mystery. 

+1. I've lit up the boards lately about having been approved for a Green card even though I have an upaid CO from 20 years ago. And I know for a fact that they are aware that my old account exists. I have no idea why they approved me, but I'm happy that they did. Everything that I've heard, though, indicates that this is the exception rather than the rule.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 7 of 26
dude11
Regular Contributor

Maybe I can give you some hope. I used to have the Blue card from 07 till 09 when it got cancelled and suspended. It went into collections but I paid in full to a CA till the end of 09. I applied for the Zync card in Feb of this year and got approved. However, a 500 hard limit with AutoPay was imposed but at least I got my foot back in the door.

Message 8 of 26
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

AMEX does blacklist those who abused their cards, but who they balcklist is somthing we never know. It could be random, or a pattern we average consumers are not seeing.

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WJL wrote:

Hi all - I used to hold AMEX Gold 10 years ago, but AMEX shut it down because I couldn't make the payments and it went into collection. I've paid the balance in settlement about 5 years ago. I do not see AMEX in my credit repot anymore and I'm interested in opening an AMEX account again, but wondering if I apply again, will AMEX see what happened before and just deny me? Looking forward to your many insights. Thanks!

If you've caused AmEx a financial loss, the odds are stacked against you until you pay 100% of the debt.

AmEx most certainly does blacklist.  Though some make it back in, that is the exception rather than the rule.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.