Did you mean: 

Does AMEX remember past history

tag
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Does AMEX remember past history

@MrShush wrote:

@KIPPIE12 wrote:

I thought if you burned Amex in the past by NOT paying them in full, that you are blacklisted?  It you paid them in full, they would be more inclined to welcome you back in the future.. I always assumed, for some, that if you applied after burning them in the past, that they would opt to put you on the Oasis program to pay them off, then after sometime you could graduate to a mainstream card product with them?

Maybe one of our  Fico veterans could chime in, as i thought there was a topic sometime ago regarding this?

Not always true Smiley Wink

There doesn't seem to be any logic to the length of the blacklist nor will there be any definitive conclusion. It could be random, it could be luck. It could be THEY want you as a customer so they are willing to forego any previous wrongdoing.

The Oasis program didn't guarantee card membership either and not many CSRs would acknowledge that. It's a mystery. 

+++ 1

Words of wisdom.  

After all, it's business...not personal.

Message 11 of 26
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

@KIPPIE12 wrote:

I thought if you burned Amex in the past by NOT paying them in full, that you are blacklisted?  It you paid them in full, they would be more inclined to welcome you back in the future.. I always assumed, for some, that if you applied after burning them in the past, that they would opt to put you on the Oasis program to pay them off, then after sometime you could graduate to a mainstream card product with them?

Maybe one of our  Fico veterans could chime in, as i thought there was a topic sometime ago regarding this?

Not always true Smiley Wink

There doesn't seem to be any logic to the length of the blacklist nor will there be any definitive conclusion. It could be random, it could be luck. It could be THEY want you as a customer so they are willing to forego any previous wrongdoing.

The Oasis program didn't guarantee card membership either and not many CSRs would acknowledge that. It's a mystery. 

+++ 1

Words of wisdom.  

After all, it's business...not personal.

Exactly. For instance, I know that they've been softing me for months on Experian, sometimes multiple times per month. I caught their attention, most likely because my scores started to go up. My reports showed steady, continuous improvement over the course of a year. The only thing that I can think of that makes any sense about my approval was that they decided that, whatever past problems I've had, I finally managed to get my act together and had become an acceptable risk. The loss that I caused them with the CO was only a few hundred dollars (not including 20 years worth of accrued interest). With all of the costs associated with gaining a new customer -- advertising, incentives, promotions -- they must have decided that it was worth their while to forgive the old debt and send me out an invitation to apply.

I know for a fact that they did not forget the old debt because they sent me a settlement offer a few months ago, when my credit first started to show signs of improvement. But, since my debt with them was well past the SOL for collections, I decided that it was in my own best interests to exercise my legal right to ignore the settlement offer and instead continue throwing all of my available resources at paying down more recent debt. So, the pre-approval offer really took me by surprise, and the resulting approval floored me.

In the end, it must have come down to a business decision for them. There's no emotion involved in this sort of thing, no "she stiffed us and we're mad!" It's all about what is going to be good for their bottom line from this point forward. The "bean counters" must have decided that I was worth the risk. And I have every intention of not giving them cause to regret that decision.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

CO on a Gold Biz I had with them.  Back in 2002 I suppose.  BK due to fall off in 2/12.

Everything else clean with a CreditSecure FAKO EX of 732.

Approved for green this past May.  Rejected back in 11/2009.  Both were online apps.

Even got my account backdated to 2000 since that is what the website showed me when I activated the card lol.

Still trying to backdate to my first green, from 1991.  That was perfectly clean and I closed it for some silly reason back in the mid 90's.

Message 13 of 26
WJL
New Contributor

Thank you all so much for your responses. I feel much more aware of the situation now! Is the main benefit of being able to backdate your AMEX card that your length of credit history will be that much longer?

Message 14 of 26
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Yes.

Good luck with everything, WJL!   Please let us know how you make out.  Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. Amex has a good memory. I closed Amex green but still me online banking acount is active and it shows Amex green in it as closed.

Message 16 of 26
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

CO on a Gold Biz I had with them.  Back in 2002 I suppose.  BK due to fall off in 2/12.

Everything else clean with a CreditSecure FAKO EX of 732.

Approved for green this past May.  Rejected back in 11/2009.  Both were online apps.

Even got my account backdated to 2000 since that is what the website showed me when I activated the card lol.

Still trying to backdate to my first green, from 1991.  That was perfectly clean and I closed it for some silly reason back in the mid 90's.

How were you able to successfully get it backdated? Did Amex give you a hard time?

I am trying to figure out if I can get Amex to backdate my new Amex CC. However, I was only a AU on the card about 15yrs ago.

Anyone confirm this or have success in trying to get Amex to backdate when they were just an AU?

Thanks in advance........

Message 17 of 26
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

It's true, AMEX has a very long memory but there are exceptions to any rule. Permanent blacklisting does exist for some, but for others, they are allowed back in the fray. The WORST that can happen should you decide to apply, they flat out deny you for having a negative history with them. No inquiry, no worries.

Last year, I app'd for Costco Amex and was denied. They did a hard inq on my EX and sent me a letter w/reasons for denial. So, from this, can I assume that I am NOT blacklisted from my cards I had w/them in the 80s that were CO? And, I could potentially therefore be approved in the future?

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 18 of 26
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

It's true, AMEX has a very long memory but there are exceptions to any rule. Permanent blacklisting does exist for some, but for others, they are allowed back in the fray. The WORST that can happen should you decide to apply, they flat out deny you for having a negative history with them. No inquiry, no worries.

Last year, I app'd for Costco Amex and was denied. They did a hard inq on my EX and sent me a letter w/reasons for denial. So, from this, can I assume that I am NOT blacklisted from my cards I had w/them in the 80s that were CO? And, I could potentially therefore be approved in the future?

Assuming current knowledge and experience with the Blacklist are accurate, yes, you are free to apply.
Message 19 of 26
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thank you. That gives me some hope that I'll have a Costco Amex one day. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.