Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AU help your credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does AU help your credit

I am in the rebuilding phase when it comes to credit. I have paid off all the bad debt and now I need to re-establish. I have been added as an authorized user to a CC with a credit limit of 15k and only $300 balance.

My question is, as an AU does this help my credit score?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

Re: Does AU help your credit

It helps as long as the AU account contains a postive payment history. Have you applied for any cards yet? Are you a student?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My question is, as an AU does this help my credit score?

The short answer: Yes.  That is, if you're a legitimate AU, then it is likely that being added as an AU on an account that improves your AAoA, overall CL, util, etc, will bode well for your FICO score. 

It depends which year/version FICO scoring system a creditor uses, and whether you are a legitimate AU, rather than trying to game the system by being added to a stranger's account.  The most recent system, FICO 08, which I understand to only be used by few creditors, has safeguards against illigitmate AU piggybacking, but continues to allow traditional AU accounts (ie, parents/spouse adding you as AU) to be factored into your FICO score.  Nevertheless, the actual 08 scoring system has some unknowns, as there is speculation as to how it determines whether an AU account is legit, whether the new scoring system allows more than one AU account to weigh upon scores, etc.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this is all good news to me because the account is my dads. He has had this account opened since 2003 and score of EQ 840(when he purchased a car last year) so i think it's safe to assume he's never been late.

What would be my next step?

This is what shows up on my CR:

5K car loan just opened two months ago (of course never been late lol)

this new CC as a AU

3 paid collection that I am in the process of sending GW letters to CA

2 collections accounts that the CA has removed from CR but the OC still shows as "transferred" or "sold to lender" 

Any help would be appreciated

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Becoming an AU used to be a great way of establishing/rebuilding credit if the credit habits of the primary account holder were pristine. However, this all changed in 2008 because credit repair agencies were making liberal use of this tactic and FICO outlawed the ability for AUs to raise their scores in this manner. The answer to you question is that becoming an AU now has a neutral effect on your FICO score, whether the primary account holders' habits are positive or negative. If you want to learn more about this, click on the following link:

http://www.credit.com/credit_information/credit_report/Consumer-Alert-FICO-Formula-Changes.jsp 

Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Alsofromabroad wrote:

Becoming an AU used to be a great way of establishing/rebuilding credit if the credit habits of the primary account holder were pristine. However, this all changed in 2008 because credit repair agencies were making liberal use of this tactic and FICO outlawed the ability for AUs to raise their scores in this manner. The answer to you question is that becoming an AU now has a neutral effect on your FICO score, whether the primary account holders' habits are positive or negative. If you want to learn more about this, click on the following link:

http://www.credit.com/credit_information/credit_report/Consumer-Alert-FICO-Formula-Changes.jsp 

This is not correct. FICO 08 was amended to credit AU accounts, but there will be an effort made (no clue what it might be) that there is some sort of relationship between the cardholder and the AU.

Also, we still don't know of any lender using FICO 08 yet. Not to say that it hasn't happened, but lenders are famously slow to switch scoring formulas.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
specultr
Regular Contributor

x

x

Message 7 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

My 18 yo is AU on 4 of my accounts and has 3 school loans. She also has a new AMEX. Her EQ is higher than mine so I think it does help. Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

smallfry wrote:
My 18 yo is AU on 4 of my accounts and has 3 school loans. She also has a new AMEX. Her EQ is higher than mine so I think it does help. Smiley Very Happy

Ahhh, to be young!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI.......

AU is a great way to go. I just ran my credit(i believe it was EX) and it reported the AU account. Score went from 590 all the way up to 646. Not bad for one days work =)

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.