cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AmEX usually start you with a low CL?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does AmEX usually start you with a low CL?

I just joined the forum today and I have a question. I am new to using credit cards for rewards. I have three cards that I have had for about 16 years, but I never used them for rewards. They were mainly for emergencies or the ocassional larger purchase that I wanted to pay for over 2-3 months. I came across a few blog articles on this subject and decided to apply for a few decent cash reward cards. Last November I apped for the Discover It and Cap 1 QS. Last week I decided to go ahead and app for the AmEx BCP because I spend the most on groceries and gas. I was surprised when they only gave me a $2k CL. This seems so low in comparision to my other cards. I called CS and they told me I had to wait 60 days to request an increase. The rep I spoke to couldn't tell me why it was so low. Is this just normal for AmEX?

I have very good credit. My utilization is always less then 10% and I PIF all my cards every month. Once in a blue moon if I have a 0% offer I will carry a small balance for a few months, but that is rare. I have a very long and thick file with zero derogs. The only thing I can think of is the 2 new accounts I opened 5 months ago, or my income. I didn't include my husbands, but mine is $58k. Should I have used his also? I did add him as an authorized user. I have never used income before and never recieved such a low CL.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does AmEX usually start you with a low CL?

ttt

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just joined the forum today and I have a question. I am new to using credit cards for rewards. I have three cards that I have had for about 16 years, but I never used them for rewards. They were mainly for emergencies or the ocassional larger purchase that I wanted to pay for over 2-3 months. I came across a few blog articles on this subject and decided to apply for a few decent cash reward cards. Last November I apped for the Discover It and Cap 1 QS. Last week I decided to go ahead and app for the AmEx BCP because I spend the most on groceries and gas. I was surprised when they only gave me a $2k CL. This seems so low in comparision to my other cards. I called CS and they told me I had to wait 60 days to request an increase. The rep I spoke to couldn't tell me why it was so low. Is this just normal for AmEX?

I have very good credit. My utilization is always less then 10% and I PIF all my cards every month. Once in a blue moon if I have a 0% offer I will carry a small balance for a few months, but that is rare. I have a very long and thick file with zero derogs. The only thing I can think of is the 2 new accounts I opened 5 months ago, or my income. I didn't include my husbands, but mine is $58k. Should I have used his also? I did add him as an authorized user. I have never used income before and never recieved such a low CL.

Thanks.

It's not unusual for Amex to give out low starting limits.  The plus to that is in a very short period of time that limit can grow very quickly. In 61 days you can ask for a CLI to $6K and then 6 months later, one to $18K and so on.  Use the card responsibly and that limit will be in line with your others before long.

As for your question about income, I'm not sure it would have made a difference but as long as you have access to your husbands income, and I assume you do, then it can be beneficial to include it in your total available household income.  You can use that when you apply for a CLI as well.

Message 3 of 23
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

its was your 2 other new cards in the last 6 month that spooked them. 2k is an okay starting line, not great, they have been known to give out 1k or even 500 if you are truely boarderline. I started out with 6k on my first AMEX which was my highest prime card at the time. But what others have said it will grow. 4 years later the card is now at 15k CL

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 23
jbsea
Established Contributor

My first card with them was my Delta card which I got (and still have) a $1000 limit.  My second revolver with them was my Everyday card which started at $5000 and 61 days later it went to $15000.  I can't seem to get a cli with the fist card but it may be because I never use it.  But they were more then happy to increase the card that I do use.  So use it and I think that you will be fine.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all for the replies. I went 10 years without applying for a credit card because I never realized they could be used to earn such great rewards. So I wasn't sure what a normal starting limit should look like for someone with my credit profile. The main reason I wanted a higher limit is I set all my cc to auto pay the statement balance so I never have to worry about being late or paying interest. With $2000 I will probably have to pay before the statement cuts because I don't like to report more then 5% util on any of my cards.
As long as I use this card frequently will Am ex care if the balance reported is always less then 5% when I ask for a CLI?
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird approval considering your excellent profile. I don't think it's income. Yours is higher than mine, and I have just short of $25K in credit lines with them.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CL grows rather quickly when you use and PIF. My 1st Amex SL was 2k in 2011. Apped for my 2nd Amex 6 months later and SL was 10k. 

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply Captool. I am away from my computer for a few hours but I will look at your signature tonight. I thought it seemed low to me considering I have only applied for 2 other cc in the past 6 months. All of my scores are greater then 800 and my credit dates back to 20 years with my mortgage. I have student loans, auto loans, and an installment loan all with positive payment history. The only debt I have right now is my mortgage, car payment, student loan, and less then 9% total util on 2 cc which are always PIF. I have only been using my Discover and Cap Qs since I earn rewards on those.
I guess I will just wait the 60 days and go from there.
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another quick question, Did you ask for the CLI at 60 days or was it automatic? Is it a SP or HP? 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.