Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does American Express always require proof of income

tag
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Does American Express always require proof of income

for new applications? I am thinking about applying but won't if they will require a tax form or something like that to prove the income. I got a Gold invite in the mail and this would be my first  American Express card. I actually would prefer one of their credit cards but I don't want to get denied and get hit with an inquiry. Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Does American Express always require proof of income

No. Only the applications which somehow get flagged by their computer for financial review which is not common.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No...BUT, with regards to AMEX, you should be able to prove the income you declare if required to do so.

Also, the GOLD card is a charge card (not a credit card) and reuqires the balance to be paid in full every statement.

Do you know your scores???  I think getting a charge first is actually easier than a credit card first.  I also think having a mortgage/owning a home (paid for) helps as well.

Message 3 of 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Nope, but you need to be able to prove your income should AMEX decided to do a financial review with you. Failure to do so may lead to CLD or account suspension.

Message 4 of 9
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Yeah sorry I meant that it might be difficult to get the Blue Cash that I want without a pre-approval and it might be easier to just get one of their charge cards just to build a relationship with them since I was pre-approved for the Zync, Green and Gold. My Equifax score is around 730 and I don't have any tax forms since I just get paid in cash and I work for my father in another job so it would be difficult to prove it.

Message 5 of 9
lenz99
New Contributor

@Awesomely wrote:

Yeah sorry I meant that it might be difficult to get the Blue Cash that I want without a pre-approval and it might be easier to just get one of their charge cards just to build a relationship with them since I was pre-approved for the Zync, Green and Gold. My Equifax score is around 730 and I don't have any tax forms since I just get paid in cash and I work for my father in another job so it would be difficult to prove it.

Never hurt to try, u can apply a charge card first if it approves go for Blue Cash, since its only one inq if you do the app(s) within 24 hours. Pre-approval doesn't matter that much, last year, I was also preapproved for Green/Gold but not any credit cards and I was able to get a Clear after the Gold.

Message 6 of 9
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

How long after you got the Gold did you apply for the Clear?

Message 7 of 9
lenz99
New Contributor

@Awesomely wrote:

How long after you got the Gold did you apply for the Clear?

10 minutes? applied right after Gold's approval and only one inq for both cards.

Message 8 of 9
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

and you were a new customer to them? If so that's great.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.