cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Amex Blue Cash preferred increase line of credit link a hard pull or soft pull

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Does Amex Blue Cash preferred increase line of credit link a hard pull or soft pull

@IncrsCredScore wrote:

Glad you asked that question, rollerkosh.  I have thought about asking for a CLI from AMEX, but was under the impression it would be a hard pull so did not ask.  Now I will feel safe in asking for an increase.  I am in the garden, so don't want any HPs.

Thanks for your responses, Irish.

Keep in mind the SP is from when ever they last did a SP, the one they have on file, not from the day you ask. So if your file has been improving rapidly recently, it is best to wait 60 days for the SP to catch up to your score today.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 18
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Does Amex Blue Cash preferred increase line of credit link a hard pull or soft pull

@Anonymous wrote:

@Simply827 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

One of the several reasons people love Amex on this forum is the "3x CLI SP" which is written about a lot!  And, unlike backdating, is still the case.

Is backdating a thing of the past? 

Yes, it died as of 3/21.  

RIP Amex backdating Smiley Sad

...MyFico is now on a mission to destroy Discover in the same way as the proposed capital controls by Germany would destroy Greece....RIP Discover 7/30/16 Smiley Wink

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 12 of 18
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Simply827 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

One of the several reasons people love Amex on this forum is the "3x CLI SP" which is written about a lot!  And, unlike backdating, is still the case.

Yes, it died as of 3/21.  

You mean it died for new card holders, correct? Those of us with existing Amex Cards still have backdating as I can see on my credit reports. 

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@merlinflex wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Simply827 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, it died as of 3/21.  

You mean it died for new card holders, correct? Those of us with existing Amex Cards still have backdating as I can see on my credit reports. 

Yes, any new cards reporting after 3/21 no longer are backdated.  Nothing, so far, has changed with those accounts that existed before that date.

Message 14 of 18
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@merlinflex wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Simply827 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, it died as of 3/21.  

Yes, any new cards reporting after 3/21 no longer are backdated.  Nothing, so far, has changed with those accounts that existed before that date.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought as much, but figured best to ask!  Kinda suxs, I have the Gold, PRG and BCE, and was looking at the EDC, but really could not find a use for another card.  I think I will upgrade to the BCP in January 2016, hope that gets backdated......

Message 15 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@merlinflex wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Simply827 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, it died as of 3/21.  

It's dead for new CARDS, old or new cardholders.   New cards won't be backdated, but anything already on the credit reports was left as it was.

Message 16 of 18
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@rollerkosh wrote:

There is a link in American Express website where you can request increase of your credit line. Is this a hard pull or soft pull?

Definitely read the 3x CLI Guide.  It should be linked in the stickies.  If not, it's the first hit when Googling "3x CLI".

Message 17 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@rollerkosh wrote:

The reason for this is . I read everywhere its soft. but I asked from the Amex chat person and he said it will be reviewed by credit agencies which might affect your score which sounds like a hard pull

Don't worry about  what he said, it's a soft pull.  Sadly, Amex CSRs are quite often wrong..  In this case, he's sorta correct.  A SP looks at the exact same things as does a HP, it's just coded differently..

Right.   And also techincally they could do a HP (even if they never do) so the CSR has to cover that case.

Somewhere buried in the Amex 3X CLI thread there was a reported instance of a HP IIRC.  We're talking more than a year ago and digging it out of that morass would be unprofitable to say the least.

It was one or maybe two anecdotal data points out of all the hundreds if not thousands of reports, but much like the old Amex secondary pull of EQ/TU in likely borderline file cases during the Zync rush, I think Amex might have an exception policy where they can pull hard if they deem it necessary.

I don't worry about it personally as it's so absurdly rare if it exists but I wouldn't go as far as to state never.  Odds are you hit either an approval or denial boundary, and their algorithms / UW guidelines may well have changed too to optimize that out of the equation.

        
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.