Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Amex auto cli?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Amex auto cli?

Haven't been with them but for about 9 months and have a decent 15K line on my clear card, that I just paid way down, less than $1500 balance now. How do they look at high usage? I typically run it up to $4-6 K over 3-4 months and then pay it down, occassionally I have put a large business purchase on it and paid by the due date. Just trying to figure them out a bit.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does Amex auto cli?

jandy1 wrote:
Haven't been with them but for about 9 months and have a decent 15K line on my clear card, that I just paid way down, less than $1500 balance now. How do they look at high usage? I typically run it up to $4-6 K over 3-4 months and then pay it down, occassionally I have put a large business purchase on it and paid by the due date. Just trying to figure them out a bit.

They love high amounts of spending, as long as you PIF.  They really don't like it when you carry a balance.

They do auto-CLI, but it is rare, and certainly not after only 9 months.  Normally, it takes years.

Message 2 of 5
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Be careful when running high balances for a while. This is known to trigger Amex to chase your balance as soon as they get the whiff of "risk".

And yes, Amex LOVES lots of PIF usage.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not gotten a CLI from Amex on my Optima Platinum in 10 years. It started out at 5K, then I got bumped up by another 5K 2 years after I opened the account, for 10K total, and it's been holding steady since 1998. I am not complaining, as I don't need any more credit than what I already have.Smiley Happy I have no lates, and no baddies anywhere on my report, and low utilization. Spotless history.

Other companies, like BOA, Citi, and Chase, seem to throw CLI's at me like water. I've never understood why Amex has been so conservative with me, given my high card usage, the fact I always PIF?  Again, not complaining, just thinking out loud.Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

ishmael, if you went on amex site and hit love button to 25k it would probably be instant approval.  With amex, you just have to ask and you shall receive when you have been long time good customer.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.