Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Amex blacklist forever?

tag
jeffg330
Regular Contributor

Does Amex blacklist forever?

I burned them over 25 years ago. Wondering if I should bother applying. Anyone know if they blacklist forever?

Starting Score: EQ 609 EX 570 TU 656 March 2012 CH 7 BK 12/08
Current Score: EQ 691 EX 694 TU 713
Goal Score: all 3 700's.
Quicksilver $5000 Discover IT $1500 Barclays NFL $1250 Walmart $1500 CL Applied Bank $300 (secured)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

In the Garden till 12/14
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Does Amex blacklist forever?

@jeffg330 wrote:
I burned them over 25 years ago. Wondering if I should bother applying. Anyone know if they blacklist forever?

It's really a YMMV situation.  Some people can get back in, even with old unpaid debts.   The only way to really know is to apply ~ if you're blacklisted they won't pull your credit, it will just be an instant denial.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@jeffg330 wrote:

It's really a YMMV situation.  Some people can get back in, even with old unpaid debts.   The only way to really know is to apply ~ if you're blacklisted they won't pull your credit, it will just be an instant denial.

+1.

Some lenders such as Citi will still go ahead and pull inquiries even when you're blacklisted however. Amex doesn't, I think.

It really depends on how much you burned them for as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 12
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

I burned Amex in 1994.

Just got back in with a green card Jan 2013, the Amex HH card with 2k limit in March 2013.

And got both accounts backdated from 1992.

But, got rejected for 3x CLI at 61 days, due to;

"Your American Express account(s) indicates previous delinquencies."

No other adverse action taken though, both accounts still open and I use them all the time, and just PIF.

I will try another CLI at plus 90 from denial.

Thank you

J

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 4 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

@jeffg330 wrote:

+1.

Some lenders such as Citi will still go ahead and pull inquiries even when you're blacklisted however. Amex doesn't, I think.

It really depends on how much you burned them for as well.

+2

The larger the loss the longer the "blacklist" remains, especially if AMEX was IIB.  Although some folks have posted falling through the cracks (albeit IIB) and were able to regain AMEX membership after 10+ years.  You can always try and post your experience for others to learn.

Message 5 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Bay_Area_Joe wrote:

I burned Amex in 1994.

Just got back in with a green card Jan 2013, the Amex HH card with 2k limit in March 2013.

And got both accounts backdated from 1992.

But, got rejected for 3x CLI at 61 days, due to;

"Your American Express account(s) indicates previous delinquencies."

No other adverse action taken though, both accounts still open and I use them all the time, and just PIF.

I will try another CLI at plus 90 from denial.

Thank you

J

See OP, some folks do have some success Robot Very Happy

Bay_Area_Joe.. was your AMEX account a CO (unpaid), CO (satisfied), part of the Oasis program or IIB?

Message 6 of 12
sjt
Senior Contributor

My opinion is that as a general rule Amex does blacklist until you pay them off. But like other posters have mentioned there are some people who fall through the cracks. I think those are more of an exception not the rule.

You could go ahead and apply. If you are blacklisted it would only be a soft pull.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 12
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

My gold card was simply a non paid account that was charged off and never paid.

J

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 8 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@sjt wrote:

My opinion is that as a general rule Amex does blacklist until you pay them off. But like other posters have mentioned there are some people who fall through the cracks. I think those are more of an exception not the rule.

You could go ahead and apply. If you are blacklisted it would only be a soft pull.

sjt, AFAIK it is not even a SP.  AMEX's database will recall the previous file/record and not even SP.  Ususally results in a declined app with no pull.

Message 9 of 12
jeffg330
Regular Contributor

Thanx for the info everyone. I'm coming out of the garden in a month or so. It's between discover and Amex currently. Ill post results if/when I app for others who might want to try.

Starting Score: EQ 609 EX 570 TU 656 March 2012 CH 7 BK 12/08
Current Score: EQ 691 EX 694 TU 713
Goal Score: all 3 700's.
Quicksilver $5000 Discover IT $1500 Barclays NFL $1250 Walmart $1500 CL Applied Bank $300 (secured)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

In the Garden till 12/14
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.