Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Amex monitor transactions on their network

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Does Amex monitor transactions on their network

Does Amex monitor transactions on their network.  I meant if you have a co-branded Amex Card would Amex consider that experience when they are processing their own cards?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Does Amex monitor transactions on their network

I've never seen any indication that they do. It seems to be all that they can do to keep up with their own issued cards.

That's just my guess though; interesting question. The problem would be that they could presumably follow your purchases, but they wouldn't know how you pay, other than by comparing the transactions to your payments on co-branded AmEx cards that they see on their soft inquires. And I don't even know if they are able to record your non-AmEx AmEx purchases, so to speak.

Hmm, I enjoy a good conspiracy theory as much as anyone, but I'm thinking that although this is technically possible, they have neither the time nor manpower to do so.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Do not think so.

@Red1Blue wrote:
Does Amex monitor transactions on their network.  I meant if you have a co-branded Amex Card would Amex consider that experience when they are processing their own cards?

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 3 of 7
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't think so.
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I know Discover has an idea of what other Discover Co Branded Cards you have. When I was talking to a Discover Rep he know about my HSBC Discover.
Message 5 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

They might know that you have one, and its typical monthly balance (from soft inqs), but did he indicate that he knew specifically what transactions you had put on it?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 7
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

Wouldn't it be quazi-illegal for AmEx to be monitoring purchases that you made on a different card?  I would think that it would be an invasion of privacy.  Also, I'm pretty sure BOA and Citi probably don't want any of their prime customers being monitored for possible switch overs later on.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.