Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Amex screen out...

tag
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Does Amex screen out...

Does Amex screen out purchases of gift cards when calculating minimum spends for sign up bonuses? in the T&C, it says that do, on the phone the reps say they do, but I suspect their automated system does not.

I bought a couple of gift cards for my godson's birthday and want to know if they will count.

Anyone have any experience with this?

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does Amex screen out...

Gift cards from a grocery store, drug store, gas station, etc?  Nope.  Those purchases are every bit as good as anything else you might buy from a store.

Message 2 of 5
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

Gift cards from a grocery store, drug store, gas station, etc?  Nope.  Those purchases are every bit as good as anything else you might buy from a store.

An Amex CSR I spoke to knew EXACTLY what I bought at a CVS the other day, pre-paid visa for $250, plus some candy for myself and a bottle water. When I asked him if that $250 gift card would be counted towards minimum spend, he said it would not.

But like i said, while its listed in the T&C as not counting, and it seems CSR's are now mostly trained to say they don't count, I bet their skynet doesn't exclude them.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 3 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@NJTurnpike wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

An Amex CSR I spoke to knew EXACTLY what I bought at a CVS the other day, pre-paid visa for $250, plus some candy for myself and a bottle water. When I asked him if that $250 gift card would be counted towards minimum spend, he said it would not.

But like i said, while its listed in the T&C as not counting, and it seems CSR's are now mostly trained to say they don't count, I bet their skynet doesn't exclude them.

I don't know on that one, from a data perspective it wouldn't be hard, a batch SQL query run once a night on the aggregate consumer transactions from the day (or whatever) could catch that if required, or in the data injest side.  

Not sure how the spend bonuses work in terms of when they're redeemed, but if you're able to, mind doing a little sleuthing in terms of being close but not quite without the prepaid and see whether you get it?  If it's after an explicit time period then that's not feasible, but if it's triggered on reaching the spend limit...

        
Message 4 of 5
enharu
Super Contributor

if they're telling you it doesn't count, it's best to assume worst case scenario that it won't count. Don't miss out on the sign-up bonus over this Smiley Tongue

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.