cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Authorized User Credit Score Affect CLI Approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Authorized User Credit Score Affect CLI Approval?

I recently received an AMEX BCP card.  I have decent credit and will be trying for the 3x CLI at 61 days.  I am wondering if I should wait until after I do the CLI before I add my husband as an authorized user.  He had to file a bankruptcy last year and his credit score is painfully low.  It would be really inconvenient for us to only have one card that we have to pass back and forth between us as needed, but I will do this if adding him as an authorized user will affect whether or not I am approved for a CLI.  In short, does AMEX consider authorized users credit scores when deciding on a credit limit increase or will it be solely based on mine?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Does Authorized User Credit Score Affect CLI Approval?

I believe only your credit will be considered.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

i agree. I just added my husband and all they needed was his name. An authorized user is not responsible/liable which is why his social is not needed.

Message 3 of 6
MrCredit
Established Contributor

They do not check an authorized users credit report when decisioning a CLI or application. Unless they are a joint account holder that is a different kind of story.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i agree. I just added my husband and all they needed was his name. An authorized user is not responsible/liable which is why his social is not needed.

That's odd.  I tried to do it online and it does ask for an SS#.  It also specifies that any additional card member may not have ever defaulted on an AMEX card... which may mean he can't be added after all since his bk included an AMEX.

Message 5 of 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's odd.  I tried to do it online and it does ask for an SS#.  It also specifies that any additional card member may not have ever defaulted on an AMEX card... which may mean he can't be added after all since his bk included an AMEX.

Amex's AU is different than most others. Amex asks for all AU info (I don't know if they pull credit) and the AU (or Additional Card Member) will get their own card with a different account number on it. They will laos be given their own online access account to track everything. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.