Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Autopay look good?

tag
Stralem
Established Contributor

Re: Does Autopay look good?

Yeah, I say if you're concerned about holiday spending, adjust it so that autopay takes off a chunk of your balance rather than the usual full amount.

Autopay is free insurance against late payments. I don't think there's ever a reason to not have it turned on.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 11 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

I think autopay does matter for Barclays.  The last 2 months I changed my "Pay Full Statement Balance" autopay to a lesser amount.  Barclays immediately SP'd me after that.  

It doesn't matter and such is no direct evidence (coincidental at best).  I have 4 Barclays CCs and none of them are on autopay.  Barclays still SPs me frequently regardless of activity, PIF, etc.  Part of their routine periodic reviews.

+1

This is where perhaps the often used phrase "correlation doesn't imply causation" may be applicable.  In either case, I think issuer's really don't care, one way or the other.  I suspect they view autopay as we do, as a matter of personal preference.  I prefer paying things manually (maybe because I'm overly meticulous or have too much time), and would rather avoid the potential auto pay errors, even if it afflicts only 1 in a Million.

For me, given I pay a King's ransom to use a smart phone, mind as well just ebill a payment when I have a moment.

Message 12 of 20
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Autopay is convenient as you don't have to remember to make a payment. I am a bit like Open123, I always make payments manually. However, my payments are on auto pay just in case.  

Message 13 of 20
BlueTank
Established Member

I think I'm giong to switch it to minimum payment only and just start paying manually. I already moved them to the same due date so it wouldn't be that bad. 

Amex Blue Cash Preferred - 9200 (1/13)
Chase Sapphire Visa Signature - 5000 (7/13)
Citi Thank You Preferred Visa - 10400 (4/11)
Barclay Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard - 5500 (7/13)
Message 14 of 20
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@BlueTank wrote:

I think I'm giong to switch it to minimum payment only and just start paying manually. I already moved them to the same due date so it wouldn't be that bad. 

Sounds like a good plan during the holidays (temporarily of course) and if you want to, go back to your regular payment routine once you've got your balances to a level you're comfortable with.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 15 of 20
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

Hey, AmEx was requiring borderline people to sign up for autopay when they were offering the Zync card, so it may matter to some issuers. I have all my AmEx cards set to autopay, but I pay them in advance anyway. I'm getting more and more paranoid these days because managing joint finances can be difficult. My partner keeps charging random crap on cards we aren't supposed to be using that month, which ends with statement balances reporting that are not supposed to and budgeting issues. I am seriously considering just giving him one card and hiding all the rest of them...
Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 16 of 20
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Here is my future payment strategy. 

My system of payment is $100 on auto when statement is received.  Remainder payment is manually processed by me depending on whether 0% promo or if I will be minimizing the UTIL ratio.  I will float other people's money as long as possible but want to be absolutely guaranteed that at least the minimum is received so to avoid any possible late payment APR. 

Some Credit card payments have been lost or failed to process due to the source of fund bank or the credit card company's error.

AS LONG AS THE MINIMUM PAYMENT IS MADE THERE'S NO CHANCE OF LOSING OUT ON SPECIAL PROMOS. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 17 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@MACFRME wrote:
Hey, AmEx was requiring borderline people to sign up for autopay when they were offering the Zync card, so it may matter to some issuers. I have all my AmEx cards set to autopay, but I pay them in advance anyway. I'm getting more and more paranoid these days because managing joint finances can be difficult. My partner keeps charging random crap on cards we aren't supposed to be using that month, which ends with statement balances reporting that are not supposed to and budgeting issues. I am seriously considering just giving him one card and hiding all the rest of them...

Lockbox?  LOL.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

AutoPay can hurt your credit score badly. With AutoPay, your balance could accidentally go to zero, which you should never allow! Next month, your balance goes from zero to non-zero, and boom! your score takes 15 points hit for "your previously unused account now shows a balance".

Message 19 of 20
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AutoPay can hurt your credit score badly. With AutoPay, your balance could accidentally go to zero, which you should never allow! Next month, your balance goes from zero to non-zero, and boom! your score takes 15 points hit for "your previously unused account now shows a balance".

Having all cards reporting zero may have a slight negative impact but if you aren't applying for an autoloan or credit card at the time its probably not a deal breaker, and on recon, you can fight your case with the fact you have 0 percent UTL it will most likely impress the underwriter they will be able to see previouos usage on manual review so won't be a problem unless you were an absolutely borderline case and the 5 or 6 points is the reason for a denial 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.