Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does B of A hold a grudge?

tag
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does B of A hold a grudge?

Banks have really, really long memories, or so I've heard. 

On a side note, how does one default on a checking account?

Message 11 of 26
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Honestly, I do not recall the particulars but I know I was irresponsible.
Message 12 of 26
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

I ask myself that too. I guess they worked the same as my brothers bank works. Transactions aren't posted right away and the money isn't immediately taken out of the account when he makes purchases (odd, I know). So he's constantly checking to see how much money he had before and after making a purchase. Being as though I wasn't as attentive as I should have been to my bank account back then, I'm assuming that's how my account ended up being over drafted, and then you have overdraft fees that I couldn't pay so I left them. I was careless back then, different story now.
AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 13 of 26
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

I just used the pre-qualifier and was asked to log in. I logged in and the Cash Rewards card was pre-selected for me. I'd rather not have that card.
Message 14 of 26
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

@Dubious wrote:

Banks have really, really long memories, or so I've heard. 

On a side note, how does one default on a checking account?

It can happen. A week before I headed for military boot camp (years ago), I made a cash deposit at an ATM to cover any BOA monthly fees during my absence. What I failed to realize was I accidently entered an extra 0 on the keypad and it mistaken $50 for $500. I didn't realize this until after I was in boot camp when I tried to use my card. My account had multiple fees (Reversal fee, NSF, daily fees, monthly fees, etc) I did not know about it until I made a call to a CSR. I got yelled for trying to defraud the bank with that ATM deposit. I eventually had most of the fees reveresed had lifted the account from default. Yes, some banks do hold a grudge.

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 26
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Well I ordered a copy of my ChexSystems report this evening. I will know the results in 7-10 business days. Since my B of A snafu, I've opened checking accouns with US Bank and Chase so if something is on my report, they did not seem to mind.
Message 16 of 26
enharu
Super Contributor

BofA do operate a blacklist, but from what I have read, some people were able to get back in after burning them. At the very least, they do not seem to hold their grudges as long as citi, chase or American Express. Then again, no accurate set of data to really analyze. Best way to really find out is to apply.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 17 of 26
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

I received my ChexSystems report over the weekend and I'm happy to report that it's empty. I knew that was not an issue.

Message 18 of 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
BofA do operate a blacklist, but from what I have read, some people were able to get back in after burning them. At the very least, they do not seem to hold their grudges as long as citi, chase or American Express. Then again, no accurate set of data to really analyze. Best way to really find out is to apply.

OP - since you have ChexSystems out of the way, best suggestion is to apply and determine if you are on the blacklist.  If an instant decision is not granted, then you can contact their U/W department to see if the previous BofA account issue comes up and whether there is any flexibility in reconsideration.

Message 19 of 26
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Yes, that's my plan but I'd like to figure out which CR they'll pull. I live in the midwest.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.