cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Barclays limit the number of cards you can have?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Does Barclays limit the number of cards you can have?

I have 4 Barclays cards at present, was wondering if they limit the number of cards you can have.

E.g. I know Cap One limits users to 5 cards.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does Barclays limit the number of cards you can have?

It's not really the number of cards per se. At one point, I used to have 6 cards with them before I consolidated some of them.

It's the total amount of exposure they would be willing to lend at any given point. So if you're at the maximum with them, no CLIs and/or you'd be limited in obtaining a new account (unless they recommend shifting some CL).
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
It's not really the number of cards per se. At one point, I used to have 6 cards with them before I consolidated some of them.

It's the total amount of exposure they would be willing to lend at any given point. So if you're at the maximum with them, no CLIs and/or you'd be limited in obtaining a new account (unless they recommend shifting some CL).

@I agree with @FinStar.  It depends on how much exposure they are willing to give you.

Message 3 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

Ok this makes sense. When i got my Apple card last year the limit was 2k. a month later i tried for the Us airways card and was denied. But they offered to take some of the limit from the Apple. I said no thanks. Then i got increased to 5k limit 3 months later. and a week later tried for the ring. Denied. i guess at the time my exposure was only 5k.

So in other words. instead of taking cli in a week when i am due should i try for the ring instead? i hope you guys know there is now a pre approval for them. Just not sure if it is worth anything. Thanks.

Message 4 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@taxi818 wrote:

Ok this makes sense. When i got my Apple card last year the limit was 2k. a month later i tried for the Us airways card and was denied. But they offered to take some of the limit from the Apple. I said no thanks. Then i got increased to 5k limit 3 months later. and a week later tried for the ring. Denied. i guess at the time my exposure was only 5k.

So in other words. instead of taking cli in a week when i am due should i try for the ring instead? i hope you guys know there is now a pre approval for them. Just not sure if it is worth anything. Thanks.

The pre-approval link may be back but it doesn't mean it's fully functional.  If you read some of the recent posts by some members, it appears it's not really offering much other than recommendations. 

You can try for the Ring at any given time but remember just because you elect not to take the CLI on a current card it doesn't mean they're saving you a seat for the Ring.  You'll just have to apply to find out.

Message 5 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

The pre-approval link may be back but it doesn't mean it's fully functional.  If you read some of the recent posts by some members, it appears it's not really offering much other than recommendations. 

You can try for the Ring at any given time but remember just because you elect not to take the CLI on a current card it doesn't mean they're saving you a seat for the Ring.  You'll just have to apply to find out.

Smiley Very Happy Good one Fin. I hope they have a seat saved for me

Message 6 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

taxi818 wrote:

To me the Ring is in a class by itself, so if it suits your style, you should go for it when the time is ripe.

I don't think it's a matter of choosing whether to apply for a CLI on your Apple card, or to apply for a Ring card. I think they are independent.

As to the CLI, bear in mind that using the luv button on Barclays means a hard pull on your TU report.

If that's your TU score sitting at 746, and if it's more than 3 months since you've gotten a new card from them, or been turned down for a new card, then I think you're good to go in applying for the Ring card.

Here's my story with the Ring card. 

1. I have a significantly lower TU score than you do.

2. I applied for Ring, and got turned down, at 3-month intervals. Each time they indicated that the reason was my large number of inquiries and large number of new accounts. The fact that most of my inquiries were from Barclays didn't matter. Each time I got rejected, I waited until the rejection fell off their "application status" page and applied again.

3. Last month I applied, got turned down, called the credit analyst 24/7 number, asked them to take my LL Bean card, which had $3300 CL, close that, and give it to me on the Ring card. They agreed, and approved me for the Ring card with $3300 CL, with understanding that my LL Bean card would be closed down.

4. In the end they chose not to close my LL Bean account, so I have both.

5. After I activated the Ring card, I asked them to transfer $7k of my Aviator card to the Ring card, which they did. So now I have a Ring card with $10,300 CL

BTW, it appears that Barclays preapproval site isn't really functional yet.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

the prime rate is scheduled to rise sometime this year. Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.