Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does CITI BANK do FR?

tag
plasticcards
New Contributor

Does CITI BANK do FR?

Does CITI bank do FR? Or ask to sumbit documents taxes or pay stubs? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

Re: Does CITI BANK do FR?

Yes, there have been a couple of posts here where Citi has sent 4506T for transcripts. Might be if self employed applicants, or for verification purposes. As always, state your reported income when applying, and be truthful.  There may be others here who have more info on this as well.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 2 of 8
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Any CC issuer has the ability to FR someone, but I hear far less of Citi doing it than Amex or others. I would only worry about a FR if you charge close to your CL and only pay the minimum over the next year. 

FR is nothing to worry about if you keep up on your payments and keep your uti below 80%

Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@KIPPIE12 wrote:

Yes, there have been a couple of posts here where Citi has sent 4506T for transcripts. Might be if self employed applicants, or for verification purposes. As always, state your reported income when applying, and be truthful.  There may be others here who have more info on this as well.

Were these at times of application?  (I seem to remember one that was).    Or are there cases were Citi, like Amex, at some point just asks for a 4506T (or the card will be closed)

Message 4 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

All banks do FR. American Express seems to be the only bank that notifies their customers in the event of FR. Other banks, such as Chase or Citi for example, will simply initiate FR process and not require any customer input unless its for verification reasons.

If they do decide to carry out AA, customers are simply informed of any such decisions either when their transactions get declined, or when they login to find out their CL is now lower or account is closed, and eventually through snail mail.

If anything American Express FR process at least gives the customer one last fighting chance, regardless of how slim those chances are. Most banks will not even discuss nor entertain appeals about their FR process.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 8
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

@enharu

What do you mean by FR though? Isn't the point of 4506T getting the consumer's permission to pull tax docs? 

I equate Amex FR with releasing tax docs to them.

I'm just not sure of what procedure other issuers follow during a review. Can they just get your info from the IRS without you even knowing? 

Message 6 of 8
Elcid89
Contributor

He/she means that every bank does soft pulls periodically on their credit customers, to evaluate their risk position. Based on the information in the SP, they may do nothing, they may increase your CLI and they may decrease it. You don't know it's happening unless you see a change.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 7 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

@Dubious wrote:

@enharu

What do you mean by FR though? Isn't the point of 4506T getting the consumer's permission to pull tax docs? 

I equate Amex FR with releasing tax docs to them.

I'm just not sure of what procedure other issuers follow during a review. Can they just get your info from the IRS without you even knowing? 

Elcid pretty much said what I meant.

It really depends on what the motive of the financial review itself is.

Sometimes, the bank(s) just want to verify that you are not lying or painting a rosy picture about your finances, or just that they have the most up-to-date accurate info about you. For situations like that, they ask for your permission to pull your tax docs.

Amex does conduct financial reviews on customers even when they're not asking for your tax docs. If the reason for a FR is not related to the validity of your income, there's really no need to ask you for such info. There are people do have their accounts closed or CLD without a single call or mail from Amex asking for tax docs. They probably saw something that wasn't to their liking, and went ahead with AA in those cases.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.