cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Cap One use a different scoring model?

tag
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Does Cap One use a different scoring model?

I ask this because my wife recently responded to a Cap One Quicksilver offer.  She was approved for 15,000 CL with a 18.24% APR (a little higher compared to her other accounts.  The letter explaining her score when her credit was pulled showed a FICO score of 701 from Experian (range of 325 - 850).

I thought this was odd because her Experian FICO 8 score from both Chase and Amex showed a 753 a little over a week before.  We have had no notice of anything that would negatively affect her score. (And there is no lates, derogatory, or other items expected; everything is paid on time every time.)

Anyhow, a Experian FICO score 50 points lower just days later doesn't maker sense.  It must be a modified scoring model.

Any thoughts, experience, etc. are welcome.

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does Cap One use a different scoring model?

I believe they use - Fico 5 mortgage enhanced score, Fico 4, and Fico 3 for their top tier cards.
Message 2 of 6
Pway
Valued Contributor

Yes Capital One has internal scoring that they use as well.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 6
iv
Valued Contributor

@hardworkrebuilding wrote:

I ask this because my wife recently responded to a Cap One Quicksilver offer.  She was approved for 15,000 CL with a 18.24% APR (a little higher compared to her other accounts.  The letter explaining her score when her credit was pulled showed a FICO score of 701 from Experian (range of 325 - 850).

I thought this was odd because her Experian FICO 8 score from both Chase and Amex showed a 753 a little over a week before.  We have had no notice of anything that would negatively affect her score. (And there is no lates, derogatory, or other items expected; everything is paid on time every time.)

Anyhow, a Experian FICO score 50 points lower just days later doesn't maker sense.  It must be a modified scoring model.

Any thoughts, experience, etc. are welcome.

The 325-850 range IDs that score as Experian FICO Classic V3.

While that is one of the "less commonly used scores" available here in the 3B report, I don't think it's generally available to end-users anywhere else (except in new account approval/denial letters, anyway).

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 4 of 6
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  I am surprised by the drasticly different score presented from FICO V3, but at least I understand better.  

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also worth noting that the free scores offered by issuers is a generic score and the actual model that they use internally will almost always generate a different score than what they're showing you.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.