cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Care Credit look bad on your report?

tag
wndrwmn78
Frequent Contributor

Does Care Credit look bad on your report?

I am contemplating applying for Care Credit...I found out today I need a root canal (plus a crown), and this is in addition to the two other crowns and wisdom teeth surgery I already have planned. (Apparently I sleep with sugar in my mouth or something!) I don't want to load this up on other credit cards, since it will probably take me about 6 months to a year to pay the total off.

I'm just wondering if having a Care Credit account looks bad on your reports? Or is it about akin to having a store credit card? Would it be better to apply for a small loan with Alliant?

Also, if I apply for Care Credit at home, can I ask for a larger limit than I know I'll have to use, with the hope of keeping its UTI under 50%? 

Thanks!

Starting Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Current Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Goal Score: 750 both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Does Care Credit look bad on your report?

I've had my card for about 16 mos and I haven't noticed any negative effect on my score whatsoever.  It's gone up because of several things, so to say it was or was not the card...can't say.

I have a thread in this card forum that's only a day old.  I have several good things to say, so rather than repeat all that, read for yoursaelf, my comments & those of a couple others.

My thread

Hope this helps.  Mo

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 07-07-2009 11:12 AM
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 4
wndrwmn78
Frequent Contributor

Thank you! Looks like it can be a good thing to have - could come in handy for any emergencies when you don't want to use another credit card or savings. My only problem is that each procedure would be charged separately, about $500 each time, so I'm not sure what 0% interest promos I would qualify for...

Starting Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Current Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Goal Score: 750 both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

The way they do it is...for example

jan 1...go to the doc...bill is $100  they give you until May 1 to pay the 100 (before charging int from jan 1 to now)

Jan 30, back to the doc, Bill is 600...you get until dec 1 to pay before int kick in.  

I can't recall exactly the dates & how long the give you, but more expensive procedures give you longer times.

I had been using the e-bill & just seeing the basic bill online (how much$$...when due?) & I messed up with those dates because you have to get deeper into the bill section of the website.  I opted for paper bills & the "pay by" date is right in front of you for each charge you've made.  I just keep an eye on when things have to be paid & they always put your payment toward the oldest charge.  No games there.

Hope that helps...Mo

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.