Frequent Contributor
wndrwmn78

Does Care Credit look bad on your report?

I am contemplating applying for Care Credit...I found out today I need a root canal (plus a crown), and this is in addition to the two other crowns and wisdom teeth surgery I already have planned. (Apparently I sleep with sugar in my mouth or something!) I don't want to load this up on other credit cards, since it will probably take me about 6 months to a year to pay the total off.

I'm just wondering if having a Care Credit account looks bad on your reports? Or is it about akin to having a store credit card? Would it be better to apply for a small loan with Alliant?

Also, if I apply for Care Credit at home, can I ask for a larger limit than I know I'll have to use, with the hope of keeping its UTI under 50%? 

Thanks!

Starting Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Current Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Goal Score: 750 both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
BungalowMo

Re: Does Care Credit look bad on your report?

[ Edited ]

I've had my card for about 16 mos and I haven't noticed any negative effect on my score whatsoever.  It's gone up because of several things, so to say it was or was not the card...can't say.

I have a thread in this card forum that's only a day old.  I have several good things to say, so rather than repeat all that, read for yoursaelf, my comments & those of a couple others.

My thread

Hope this helps.  Mo

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 07-07-2009 11:12 AM

Starting Score: 07/2011 TU 732 - EQ 717 - EX 702
Current Score: 06/2014 TU 739 - EQ '08 709 - EX 721
Goal Score: 850

Bury me in the garden...last app 06.18.14

Frequent Contributor
wndrwmn78

Thank you! Looks like it can be a good thing to have - could come in handy for any emergencies when you don't want to use another credit card or savings. My only problem is that each procedure would be charged separately, about $500 each time, so I'm not sure what 0% interest promos I would qualify for...

Starting Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Current Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Goal Score: 750 both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
BungalowMo

The way they do it is...for example

jan 1...go to the doc...bill is $100  they give you until May 1 to pay the 100 (before charging int from jan 1 to now)

Jan 30, back to the doc, Bill is 600...you get until dec 1 to pay before int kick in.  

I can't recall exactly the dates & how long the give you, but more expensive procedures give you longer times.

I had been using the e-bill & just seeing the basic bill online (how much$$...when due?) & I messed up with those dates because you have to get deeper into the bill section of the website.  I opted for paper bills & the "pay by" date is right in front of you for each charge you've made.  I just keep an eye on when things have to be paid & they always put your payment toward the oldest charge.  No games there.

Hope that helps...Mo

Starting Score: 07/2011 TU 732 - EQ 717 - EX 702
Current Score: 06/2014 TU 739 - EQ '08 709 - EX 721
Goal Score: 850

Bury me in the garden...last app 06.18.14

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+