cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Chase automatically consider CLI for cardmembers after first 6 months?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does Chase automatically consider CLI for cardmembers after first 6 months?

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it true that you can have up to 4 cards with Chase under your account? 

I saw someone on here had 9. YMMV

Message 11 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Pretty much comes down to HP for a CLI with Chase, and no guarantees whether they'll actually grant you one anyway. Best bet is honestly to open up a new account if you want a higher limit; cobranded cards seem to be very generous for that.

However, this should be explored as a last resort and provided the individual needs the card.  Everyone's profiles are different and while myFICO represents a small slice of the credit pie when it comes to how most lenders operate, it can only account for a percentage of those folks who truly get or qualify for auto-CLIs.

Message 12 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it true that you can have up to 4 cards with Chase under your account? 

I have 9 total.  It's not the number of CCs that one can have, it's the total amount of lending exposure that Chase (or any other lender) would be willing to extend.  This will vary for each individual.  If an internal limit is reached, then one could be stuck for a while.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Given that I don't really need any more than 3 credit cards at the moment, I'll probably just wait 6-8 months to see how my credit score improves, as I've been spending no more than 10% of my CL each month. I'll make an informed decision by then as to whether or not I want to request a CLI or apply for a new Chase card

Message 14 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Pretty much comes down to HP for a CLI with Chase, and no guarantees whether they'll actually grant you one anyway. Best bet is honestly to open up a new account if you want a higher limit; cobranded cards seem to be very generous for that.

However, this should be explored as a last resort and provided the individual needs the card.  Everyone's profiles are different and while myFICO represents a small slice of the credit pie when it comes to how most lenders operate, it can only account for a percentage of those folks who truly get or qualify for auto-CLIs.

Of course. I was just saying that similar to cap1, some chase cards just seem to refuse to grow, and in that instance, if a person's credit/income/file/spend/habits support it, then by all means open up a new account and (hopefully) get a higher limit. That limit can then of course be reallocated to their preferred card if they so choose, or they can keep the new card open.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 15 of 19
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

It's a periodic review which could occur before 6 months or therafter.  The 6 month timeframe is merely a guideline or recommendation.  I received an auto-CLI on the Ritz card before the 6 month timeframe.  Others have also received them before 6 months (timeframe varies).  And, then there's also those who get them anywhere from 6-12 months or beyond (or not at all). 

Now, if your account has not received any auto-CLI and your profile supports it, you can always request a CLI via phone or secure messaging but will result in a HP.

+1. It is also possible to receive consecutive auto CLIs on a single card. I received 2 auto CLIs on my United Club card within the first 12 months.

As FinStar said though, it's highly dependant on your profile and how much exposure Chase wants to have.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes, they'll let you know that a CLI is available, but you have to affirmatively choose to take it. I've found that these typically arrive by mail.
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Does Chase automatically review cardmembers' accounts for consideration for a CLI after the first 6 months? 

Yes they do.  My Ritz and Marriott cards were auto CLI'd without me requesting the CLI.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Within the past few months, I have seen posts that state people have received auto CLIs from Chase. However, I don't think this is the norm. Usually CLIs from Chase are HPs. I hope this information helps!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.