Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Chase blacklist people? If so, how long

tag
Travis-84
Regular Contributor

Does Chase blacklist people? If so, how long

I had a debt of 1000 written off by chase.  DOFD is reported as June 2006.

It is no longer on my credit report, but If I request a credit card from them, will they check their records and deny me because of that charge off.

Also, I had a second card  which was closed in Jan 2010 (sat idle since 2008), so I do have some more recent positive info with them. 

WIll applying automatically blacklist me, do they have internal records they check?]

Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

Re: Does Chase blacklist people? If so, how long

I would like to know this as well. I have two Charge offs from Chase that were settled. DoFD is also in 2006.

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 23
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

how about if Chase closed the cards due to lates, and you paid them off before they were Charged Off?  its been since 2008

Thanks!

Message 4 of 23
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Wow!  Very informative post, mgs2010.  I had both, BK and WaMu.  I included Chase in the BK for an auto loan.  However, Chase was paid in full through the BK.  When the merger took place, I was not closed out or CLD'd by Chase.  I was able to convert my WaMu Platinum Visa to a Chase PerfectCard then to a Chase Freedom.  I also received a $500 CLI (upon request) a year ago.  No auto CLIs given by Chase at all.  Not sure if I "slipped" through the cracks or if Chase finds me "acceptable" since they did get paid in full.  I've always wondered about that though. 

Message 5 of 23
fused
Moderator Emeritus

This is my history with Chase. I had an individual account that I defaulted on with a huge balance back in 1997. IIRC, the amount owed was more than 8-9K. I never paid it and I was very fortunate that Chase and all of the CAs that tried to collect on this debt never sued me. By the time 2008 rolled around, my reports were clean, my scores were quite high and I had some positive TLs on each of my reports. My wife had a Chase Plat Visa with a perfect payment history dating back to 1993. She added me as an AU (this was temporary). Soon after her account was converted to a joint account with me as the secondary account holder. This account gave me a CC TL with a big CL and a long credit history. Chase didn't even pull my credit and everything went VERY smoothly. To this day, I'm still shocked Chase allowed me back inside their place. I think I got lucky. 

Message 6 of 23
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@mgs2010 wrote:

I used to work for them, and you are blacklisted. As long as the statue of limitations has not run out, in order to apply for a new card you must pay any collectable balance on a charge off, even if it is sent to third party. the write off department will contact the third party debt collector and verify payment in full-settlements do not count...you will still be asked to pay the difference. and as far as bankruptcies, those individuals are permanently blacklisted and will never get a chase card again, unless by chance they had wamu at the time the merger took place...THEN they slipped through the cracks, but chances are they will have severe limit decreases or account closures once they review the account.

After the statute of limitations has run out, what it the policy on repayment of charge offs?  

Message 7 of 23
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Whoa!  Fused, I think you got lucky too.  No credit pull?  By CHASE?  Wow!  Yeah, you definitely got lucky or somebody was praying hard for you.  LOL

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mgs2010 wrote:

I used to work for them, and you are blacklisted. As long as the statue of limitations has not run out, in order to apply for a new card you must pay any collectable balance on a charge off, even if it is sent to third party. the write off department will contact the third party debt collector and verify payment in full-settlements do not count...you will still be asked to pay the difference. and as far as bankruptcies, those individuals are permanently blacklisted and will never get a chase card again, unless by chance they had wamu at the time the merger took place...THEN they slipped through the cracks, but chances are they will have severe limit decreases or account closures once they review the account.

This is not true.

I have seen scores of individuals with COs and BKs where Chase took a hit that later get approved for a Chase card. 

Message 9 of 23
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.