Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Citi recon CL?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Does Citi recon CL?

Just got approved for Simplicity, but want a higher CL for a BT. Do they recon? Any suggestions? Thanks! Smiley Happy
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Does Citi recon CL?

@bichonmom wrote:
Just got approved for Simplicity, but want a higher CL for a BT. Do they recon? Any suggestions? Thanks! Smiley Happy

Call CSR, and ask to be transfered to credit management department, or to any credit analyst.

It will most likely be another hard inquiry though.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 10
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

Call CSR, and ask to be transfered to credit management department, or to any credit analyst.

enharu,

Would this be the same process if I want to PC my citi AAdvantage gold to platinum?  I had it since September but want to PC it to platinum...i talked the CSR and they told me no (twice), they told me i had to wait for a year before i can do it...but never asked to be transferred to different dept who can look at it differently.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 3 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

enharu,

Would this be the same process if I want to PC my citi AAdvantage gold to platinum?  I had it since September but want to PC it to platinum...i talked the CSR and they told me no (twice), they told me i had to wait for a year before i can do it...but never asked to be transferred to different dept who can look at it differently.

Usually you need to wait till the card is >13 months old before you can do any PC for Citi cards.

The EO can help you do a PC if the card is <13 months old, but it's pretty likely they'll ask you to forfeit any sign-up promos that you had or are supposed to receive. At least that's what I was told when I tried to PC my TYP to a visa, so I ended up keeping it as a MC and they eventually upgraded me to WEMC.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 10
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

enharu,

Usually you need to wait till the card is >13 months old before you can do any PC for Citi cards.

The EO can help you do a PC if the card is <13 months old, but it's pretty likely they'll ask you to forfeit any sign-up promos that you had or are supposed to receive. At least that's what I was told when I tried to PC my TYP to a visa, so I ended up keeping it as a MC and they eventually upgraded me to WEMC.

Thanks for the info.  I've already received my signup bonus from min. spending, i just want to PC it since platinum offers free check bag/ priority boarding.  Perhaps i should just wait after the year is up and just aim for another signup bonus then. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 5 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Any idea which number to call? It seems the numbers on the sticky are for app status or for exec office. Thanks! Smiley Happy

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:
Any idea which number to call? It seems the numbers on the sticky are for app status or for exec office. Thanks! Smiley Happy

try calling the regular number on back of the card.

once you reach a live person, ask to be transfered to the credit management department. I don't think that department is around 24/7 though, so you will need to call during regular hours.

Message 7 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Don't have the card yet. Just got approved by phone today. Rep was not US-based and said that if I wanted higher CL, I had to wait to receive the card and then call. I only had to call because my CRs are frozen and I had to call after apping to find out which one to unlock. I think it was an automated decision; this dept. doesn't seem like one that makes credit decisions.

I know often on the forum, people recon before getting the card. Just don't know how Citi does on reconning the CLs and also which number to call. No recon number on the sitcky.

Message 8 of 10
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Don't have the card yet. Just got approved by phone today. Rep was not US-based and said that if I wanted higher CL, I had to wait to receive the card and then call. I only had to call because my CRs are frozen and I had to call after apping to find out which one to unlock. I think it was an automated decision; this dept. doesn't seem like one that makes credit decisions.

I know often on the forum, people recon before getting the card. Just don't know how Citi does on reconning the CLs and also which number to call. No recon number on the sitcky.

Let us know how it turns out.

Message 9 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

It's usually pretty hard to have Citi reconsider anything, but that doesn't mean it's impossible either. 

The number for Simplicity should be: 1-866-696-5673 (got it from here: https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/portal.c?ID=CitiSimplicityAccount)

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.