Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Current Credit Limit Amount Affect New Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Current Credit Limit Amount Affect New Accounts

Do credit card companies look at other account credit limit on credit report to determine how much credit they will extend to the applicant?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Does Current Credit Limit Amount Affect New Accounts

I'm sure they take a look, and maybe on some rare occasions they may match other limits/beat them, but in general, they use their own underwriting criteria to determine limits and APRs.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no standard every company has their own way of doing things but I would bet at least some do.

If you were a lender would you give a $20k line to someone whose highest limit elsewhere is $300?
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this what this sentence means? It is found from Credit Limit Discover, "Another factor that comes into play is how much other outstanding credit you have available to you, such as through other credit cards." 

"Outstanding credit?"

Message 4 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

No that refers more to overall credit extended to an individual. In other words, how much total credit you have versus your income. Someone with, say, $15k income would not get nearly as much credit extended to them as, say, someone with $100k income. Higher income qualifies one for higher limits across more cards.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. That is my question. That, ""Another factor that comes into play is how much other outstanding credit you have available to you, such as through other credit cards."  means they take into consideration how much credit they will extend to the applicant by reviewing how much other lenders have approved them of in the past. Sorry for my confusion.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx matched my highest limit when I got my BCP. $18,400 is kind of a random number to pick unless they were looking at my other CL...
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's probably age util, and limits in that order.

I'm pretty sure no one discloses everything related to debt in their signature. Don't get mad frustrated or curious when someone has the same stuff in your signature gets approved for venture and you get a quick silver one! pay your stuff off and you probably could have had venture in other words.
Message 8 of 12
newhis
Valued Contributor

My DW got a Sallie Mae @ 3K. She called for recon, they asked several questions and how much she wanted, she said 10K, they said that the max they can authorize was 6K (matching her highest limit).

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:
I'm sure they take a look, and maybe on some rare occasions they may match other limits/beat them, but in general, they use their own underwriting criteria to determine limits and APRs.

With the higher end cards, part of that underwriting criteria is experience with higher limits.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.