Established Contributor
tennisfan78

Does Discover blacklist?

I have been getting pre-approval offers from Discover for the past few months (9.9 APR, $100 cashback bonus rewards).

I used to have a Discover card few years ago ($1000 Credit Limit). But, due to unfortunate circumstances, it was maxed out, and I never paid it off. It has fallen off of my credit report a year ago.

My question is, does Discover blacklist people? and due to the past account problems, will it be wise to apply, even though the invitation says pre-approved?

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
sphinx313

Re: Does Discover blacklist?

While I don't know about Discover directly, I know that I have had multiple accounts with Capital One and HSBC even after accounts were closed and/or still in collection. They pretty much take it on a case by case basis and I wouldn't assume you'd receive pre-approval letters if the plan was to deny you all along. Some of the bigger companies might, but I remember as a kid people used to make fun of Discover cardholders because a 7 year old dog could apply and be approved. I think you'll be OK. To answer the actual question directly though, No, I don't know if Discover blacklists, but it doesn't look like it.

Starting Score: 532/564 10/21/12
Current Score: TU: 594 EQ: 628 EX: 617 BoA Credit Pull Denial Letter 2/20/2013
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
Ron1

Re: Does Discover blacklist?

Yes, it has. They will denied even if you have pre-approval. It happened to me.

Ron.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+