Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Discover blacklist?

tag
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Does Discover blacklist?

I have been getting pre-approval offers from Discover for the past few months (9.9 APR, $100 cashback bonus rewards).

I used to have a Discover card few years ago ($1000 Credit Limit). But, due to unfortunate circumstances, it was maxed out, and I never paid it off. It has fallen off of my credit report a year ago.

My question is, does Discover blacklist people? and due to the past account problems, will it be wise to apply, even though the invitation says pre-approved?

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Re: Does Discover blacklist?

While I don't know about Discover directly, I know that I have had multiple accounts with Capital One and HSBC even after accounts were closed and/or still in collection. They pretty much take it on a case by case basis and I wouldn't assume you'd receive pre-approval letters if the plan was to deny you all along. Some of the bigger companies might, but I remember as a kid people used to make fun of Discover cardholders because a 7 year old dog could apply and be approved. I think you'll be OK. To answer the actual question directly though, No, I don't know if Discover blacklists, but it doesn't look like it.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Does Discover blacklist?

Yes, it has. They will denied even if you have pre-approval. It happened to me.

Ron.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.