Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Discover trump Freedom?

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Does Discover trump Freedom?

@kdm31091 wrote:
Im talking about personal dining spend not so much business related. 3k a quarter on personal dining is to me a lot and one should look at their budget. However I've stated that about ten times in this thread lol so time for me to move on!

Whats the topic here again? Lol

Does the rewards of card A out weigh card B.....Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 81 of 97
Open123
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

I look at this a little differently. I can't speak to the business dinners part - as I don't often pay for them and it would be reimbursed if I did anyway. But otherwise, the way I see it, if someone is paying for my meal and the food is good, I have little right to get uncomfortable about their method of payment - and I think that applies vice versa. 

Now, in this case, I'd feel even better about buying a person who shares your sentiments lunch/dinner, than a person who feels "entitled" to my paying for them; but, for the sake of harmony, I'll still gladly pay for the person, but may not be as quick to invite him/her the next time.

For better or for worse, I was brought up with the notion that if I offer to take a person(s) out to lunch or dinner, there should never be constraints.  As a host, I try to encourage my guests to order whatever they wish, have some drinks and wine, and order dessert--even the nice Port!  Most times, I'll be proactive and just order what I think or know they'll enjoy.

Not sure about the modern era, but when I was growing up, the one who invites is the one who pays.  This is usually me, since I HATE dining alone!

Message 82 of 97
Open123
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Im talking about personal dining spend not so much business related. 3k a quarter on personal dining is to me a lot and one should look at their budget. However I've stated that about ten times in this thread lol so time for me to move on!

Whats the topic here again? Lol

Even for personal dining, the only person I subject to the Groupon thing is my Wife!  Hahahahaha...boy, did she marry the wrong guy!

Jokes aside, with good friends, it's fine.  Ordinarily, with anyone except my best friend (we're both extremely frugal) I avoid any semblance of Groupon or cost saving measures.  We all work hard for our money, and mind as well spend it, at some point.

Message 83 of 97
yfan
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@yfan wrote:

I look at this a little differently. I can't speak to the business dinners part - as I don't often pay for them and it would be reimbursed if I did anyway. But otherwise, the way I see it, if someone is paying for my meal and the food is good, I have little right to get uncomfortable about their method of payment - and I think that applies vice versa. 

I see your point but in the business world sometimes when trying to sell your product or services its all about first impressions and sadly it can lead to the sell or denial due to that impression

Meaning from the client perspective ......the presentation was nice (dinner and place) but can they supply the services for me because they whipped out the Plat Amex and then proceeded to present the Groupon deal.....the second impression can also kill the deal that the first impression achieved 

Kind of like the dress for success theme

Oh I understand this, which is why I said I couldn't speak for business dinners, etc. It would certainly be penny-wise and pound-foolish if one were to lose a business deal over saving 50% on a meal. But for the same reason, it is also generally a good idea to put client lunches/dinners on a business credit card rather than personal. It gives the impression of an established business with streamlined financing (business card as opposed to reimbursements), which can also make a good impression on clients.

Message 84 of 97
celluloid17
Established Contributor

The nerfing of the Chase banking relationship bonus (thanks for the loyalty, Chase!) coupled with the fact that Discover is offering the double cash promotion for the year has made Freedom relatively useless for me for the foreseeable future.  I don't have  a CSP so I don't have much interest in UR points beyond cash back purposes.  I barely use the Discover card as it is, but will certainly do so when there's a category I'd get maximum benefit from like restaurants or gas primarily because of the current double cash promo.  Otherwise, Sallie Mae and Cash + get all of my spend in those respective categories and Citi Double Cash is my go-to catch-all card.

The only drawback of Discover is the fact that it's not accepted everywhere, so if someone had no other credit cards and were deciding between the Freedom or IT, I'd have to reluctantly suggest Freedom because it's a Visa with wider acceptance, but if they already had a Visa or MC in their wallet, I would say Discover wins for the cash back chaser hands down.  

Message 85 of 97
Open123
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

Oh I understand this, which is why I said I couldn't speak for business dinners, etc. It would certainly be penny-wise and pound-foolish if one were to lose a business deal over saving 50% on a meal. But for the same reason, it is also generally a good idea to put client lunches/dinners on a business credit card rather than personal. It gives the impression of an established business with streamlined financing (business card as opposed to reimbursements), which can also make a good impression on clients.

Not trying to get philosopical here, but here's the thing.  I've alwasy believed that I were to willing to spend "X" on clients, I should at least be willing to do same for friends/family, who are infiitely more important to me than business associates.  For me, I just believe in treating friends/family better than strangers/clients, or at the very least, at the same level.

For instance, we always pick up the tab our Firm's clients, no exceptions.  Say, you're my best friend from college, and hire us to do some work for you.  As my friend, should I dispense with the courtesy of picking the tab for you or never invite you out, as I do for the rest of our clients, just because you're my friend?  Of course not, right?

So, I try not to differentiate too much on what I'm willing to pay for, whether for business or personal.  After all, friends/family are far more important than our business associates, and we should treat them the best of all, in my view.

Message 86 of 97
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

For me, Discover trumps Freedom.  Back in January, Chase decided they hate me & sold my mortgage to a bottom feeder, dropped the limits on my BP, knowing the card was being purchased by Synchrony, and dropped the limit on my Freedom to well under half.

Never ever late with mortgage payments or either card. A 7 year relationship with them went sour, fast!!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 87 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think on a personal level, I've received good service from Chase, that makes me loyal to them over and above Discover.  And the freedom is a good card.  I may very well GET Discover in the future, depending on how spending levels are, but I'm okay with 3-4 cards total.  

Message 88 of 97
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@myjourney wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
C) Help me make spend on XXX for bonus
1c) I hate this one the most .....you didn't need this card in the first place but got caught up in the CC hype and had no plan or use for the card not to mention it was out of your spending pattern so you want help going into debt....(Real bright) <<<😂😂😂 This is my pet peeve also but people are gonna do what they want to do.

My pet peeve (apart from HeavenlyFlower's mode of quoting!) is much more, once someone has the card "How do the rewards on card X work?"   Seems like a great question to ask before applying!

Ooooooo H_LL yes (HECK)

I couldn't agree more!  While not exactly a 'pet peeve', so to speak, I just don't understand it.

Before I got each of my cards, I thoroughly researched all of the perks, drawbacks, and peculiarities of each (especially the ones with annual fees).  I'm not the smartest guy, but by the time each of my cards arrived in the mail I was pretty much an expert on how they "worked", specifically the rewards.

From time-to-time I might still have a question here or there - like I recently did regarding a Discover balance transfer - and I think that's understandable.  But as for the 'main points', I consider it almost irresponsible to apply for something with the intention of "figuring it out" after the fact.

This being said, the reason I'm on this forum is to get and share knowledge, and if somebody honestly has questions/is confused about a product I have experience with, I'll help with a smile.  Smiley Wink

Message 89 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both are solid cards.  I got a better signup bonus with freedom (100, yes I know it has gone as high as 200) compared to 50 dollars Amazon for Discover.  Discover has great customer service and I think the Discover Deals are a touch better than Chase Cash Back Bonus Boost.  I also like the free Fico you get with Discover. 

Obviously, Freedom can't touch double cashback which is such an amazing deal.  right now I'm using both (Freedom for gas) and Discover for Amazon. 

I'd probably give the slight nod to Discover though really both are excellent and each has their advantages.  Some of the best non fee cards out there. 

Message 90 of 97
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.