cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does FIA card use the same system of BOA ?

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Does FIA card use the same system of BOA ?

If I call FIA card credit analyst, can they see my BOA card balance,CL,etc ?  Do they use the same internal scoring/fraudulent prevention system?  Thank you.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Does FIA card use the same system of BOA ?

Fia is boa.
I think all of boa's cards are technically underwritten by fia, but i may be wrong
Message 2 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Fia is boa.
I think all of boa's cards are technically underwritten by fia, but i may be wrong

you are correct Smiley Happy

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 10
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Is that right or is it the other way around? 

Since FIA is a subsidiary of BoA, wouldn't it be BoA that underwrites FIA cards? Or is FIA more than just a subsidiary?

Personally, I don't see the point of FIA in terms of issuing cards. Why not just issue them directly as BoA?

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 4 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBNA

Quotes from articles:

1. On June 10, 2006, MBNA changed its name to FIA Card Services, National Association (FIA), which is not an acronym

2. On June 30, 2005, MBNA announced that it was being acquired by Bank of America for stock and cash totalling more than $35 billion, reuniting MBNA with Maryland National in a roundabout way, as NationsBank acquired Bank of America in 1998. The deal was closed on January 1, 2006. The acquisition resulted in MBNA being renamed to Bank of America Card Services while still based in Delaware. For the first part of 2006, MBNA (http://www.mbna.co.uk) still issued credit cards under its own name associated with Mastercard, VISA, and American Express, but by the second half of 2006, all card products were re-branded as Bank of America.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

While FIA is owned by bank of america, it handles all their credit cards. Similar to the difference between amex centurion bank and amex federal savings bank.
Message 6 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Likely comes down to accounting (loose definition ranging up to non-trivial finance) in this case.

As an example, I work in a nearly autonomous for-profit subsidiary of a non-profit organization.   These sorts of structures aren't uncommon when dealing with large corporations.

        
Message 7 of 10
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

It also allows them to issue cards for other institutions without the Bank of America name. It may be strange to have a card at a small bank that carried the Bank of America name on it, and the small bank would most likely not like it. Just like First National Bank of Omaha credit cards are issued by their First Bankcard division. Elan Financial Services and US Bank are similar, except US Bank only uses Elan for other banks.

Message 8 of 10
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I know when I apped for my recent BOA Better Balance rewards card, they did a double pull - It shows as Bank of America on TU, and FIA on EX.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 9 of 10
linux007969
Established Contributor

in all my billing statements and account paperwork it says that both my Bank of America Credit Cards are issued by FIA Card Services and I have called FIA on a number of occasions and they can see my accounts and help me with anything, especially when my secured card was graduating i called the backdoor for an FIA anaylist and got an increase and my AF removed completely in one painless phone call! Smiley LOL

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.