cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does GE close cards because of inactivity?

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Does GE close cards because of inactivity?

Anybody know?  I haven't used my RtG card in over 3 years.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Does GE close cards because of inactivity?

They typically lower the CL but then you can call and tell them you would like to start using it and they will raise it again.

but even if they have not closed it, it's probably not active on your credit report.

Message 2 of 6
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I have read Care credit has done CLD im not sure about cobranded cards I wouldn't think they would keep them open to for many years as it's costing them money.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 6
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

Yes, GE does close cards due to inactivity. I had a couple cards I used for the promotional financing on home improvements. After the promotion, I didn't need that store again, and after approximately three years, the line was closed down.

Citi, and Wells Fargo do the same. (Wells Fargo was the lender behind a Raymour & Flanigan card, I didn't take promotional financing, but took an upfront cash discount, thanks, Wells!)

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 4 of 6
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

They definitely will, depends on how long it has been since you used it. One card I had (Art Van furniture) I never used (2 yrs) because I got the card,then decided I didn't need to buy anything. I just noticed on my credit report one day that it was closed. Once with Walmart, I hadn't used it in nearly a year and they lowered the limit to $124. I called, and they said the weird number (ending in 24) is what they use just before they close the card for non-use. They said I needed to use the card more. I charged a couple of grocery items, and PIF and they restore my limit.

I am thinking that they let you go a little longer on Furniture Store type cards, because most people wouldn't be buying furniture on a regular basis.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 5 of 6
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

I think I had my Lowes card for about 6 months before they closed it for inactivity;  I never got the chance to use it.

@thelethargicage wrote:

Anybody know?  I haven't used my RtG card in over 3 years.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.