Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Heavy Use = Higher CLIs?

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Does Heavy Use = Higher CLIs?

If you barely use the card, why would they give you a limit increase?

Then they feel that the card would only be used in a financial emergency, and a higher chance of default would be possible.

So yes, using a card is more likely to get you a larger increase.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 11 of 25
MrCredit
Established Contributor

+1

Message 12 of 25
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@MrCredit wrote:

+1

+2. I use my Chase cards very heavily and received a large auto CLI after only 3 months.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 25
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I use mine, let the statements close/amounts post then pay before the due date. I have a few accounts that I would like to see have healthy limits so I'm going to target them and give them more use than accounts that I know won't grow as much. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 14 of 25
DCole3g
New Contributor

Fused, I know this is totally off subject, but I am trying to contact you via PM.  I am hoping that you are subscribed to this thread and will get this in an emailSmiley Happy

Message 15 of 25
Elcid89
Contributor

@MojaveMoon wrote:

So far heavy usage has not resulted in an automatic CLI from Citicards.

Has anyone received an automatic CLI from them ?

Several, most recently this month.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 16 of 25
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

BOA denied me for not using my current limit and 2 baddies on my TU

I wanted to ask, why did u give it to me in the first place. Same credit file and a better score

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 17 of 25
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Discover gave an increase when I have not used the card for more than a few hundred dollars since the beginning of the year. FIA gave one when I have not used the card in a while, and did not charge that much when I did. It really varies, but as someone else said, they may say no if you are not using it, since you have no reason to need to charge more.

Message 18 of 25
orl2185
Established Contributor

I guess I'm the odd ball then. I barely use my cards period, yet get cli's quite a bit. WOW!!!!

Isn't this promoting getting into debt I presume just to get limit increases? SMH...Smiley Indifferent

Message 19 of 25
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@orl2185 wrote:

I guess I'm the odd ball then. I barely use my cards period, yet get cli's quite a bit. WOW!!!!

Isn't this promoting getting into debt I presume just to get limit increases? SMH...Smiley Indifferent

This is not promoting getting into debt. This is just saying, shift spending around and continue to PIF.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.