Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Heavy Use = Higher CLIs?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Does Heavy Use = Higher CLIs?

Are you more likely to get a better CLI if you give your card a good workout, and of course, pay it on time (possibly in full) over just using it once in awhile? 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Jahmakan
Valued Member

Re: Does Heavy Use = Higher CLIs?

I guess your mileage may vary as they say, and this could be pure coincidence, but I have had a Discover More card for a little over two years now and last month I  spent significantly more than my monthly average, paid in full and today I got notice of a credit line increase.  Who knows...

Message 2 of 25
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

it really is ymmv. 

i mean best buy doesnt really do cli. but i used 200 dollars on my walmart card in 4 months. pif same month (sept) and asked for a cli and they gave me 800 to 3k. 

so anything is possible. 

ive put through about 5-600 on my ge american eagle card. and they denied my cli. account is about two weeks newer then walmart. (opened since mid july)

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 3 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

Are you more likely to get a better CLI if you give your card a good workout, and of course, pay it on time (possibly in full) over just using it once in awhile? 

In most cases yes, as long as your not constantly maxxing the card and PIF. I figure just over 50% of the CL and PIF.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 25
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

In most cases yes, as long as your not constantly maxxing the card and PIF. I figure just over 50% of the CL and PIF.

I agree with this. The CCC like to see you're using your card as much as possible (they make money on every transaction) and of course PIF. They typically reward heavy usage and awesome credit management.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 25
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@masscredit wrote:

In years past, yes that was probably true. These days, YMMV (your mileage may vary) as others have posted.

Message 6 of 25
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

So far heavy usage has not resulted in an automatic CLI from Citicards.

Has anyone received an automatic CLI from them ?

Message 7 of 25
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@MojaveMoon wrote:

So far heavy usage has not resulted in an automatic CLI from Citicards.

Has anyone received an automatic CLI from them ?

I used to get regular CLI's from CITI until about two years ago. About 4 or 5 years ago, Amex, CITI, FIA and BoA (wife) gave us large CLI's for heavy usage.

Message 8 of 25
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I'm going to stop app'ing to Citi...now I'm so mad they deny me for stupid reason...I've set my eyes on the Chase Freedom...probably in December 2012 hopefully.

I've also heard CITI doesn't give auto CLIs..

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 9 of 25
MrCredit
Established Contributor

YMMV, depends on scores and usage. PIF before the statement cuts. I use my cards for EVERYTHING and PIF. There are certain banks that will do auto CLI and some now you have to ask. BOA, Citi, USAA, and most CUs you have to ask. Chase has been the only one in the recent years who has been an auto CLI for me.

BOA likes usage in my opinion and when you apply on their site for an CLI, it will say "call us for instant decision" Don't call them and two days later like magic, you will see a CLI. Do not ask for more than 25% CL.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.