cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Income matter- Chase Sapphire Prefered?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does Income matter- Chase Sapphire Prefered?

My income is 25k and I am a student, look at my signature for my CCs. Do you still think your income is low for 5k limit?!

Message 11 of 26
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@tin369 wrote:

I know and that worries me coz, the highest CL I have is $3000 and only 2 credit cards.

How good are my chances with Amex gold or Amex costco?

If your highest CL is $3000, you won't get approved for the Sapphire.  They require an existing CL of $5000 before they will grant one.  You may be better off starting with Chase Freedom.  But, like the others said, your time on the job may be the deal breaker.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 12 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@kimmiller112 wrote:

@tin369 wrote:

I know and that worries me coz, the highest CL I have is $3000 and only 2 credit cards.

How good are my chances with Amex gold or Amex costco?

If your highest CL is $3000, you won't get approved for the Sapphire.  They require an existing CL of $5000 before they will grant one.  You may be better off starting with Chase Freedom.  But, like the others said, your time on the job may be the deal breaker.

I don't think that's accurate for all folks; there's a number of sigs on these forums of folks with a CSP (which is admittedly a sweet card) with nothing else close to that strata.  If I had a couple of years history (like 2-3), a 3K CL somewhere else, and 50K+ income, I'd take a shot at a CS/P; I think both the regular and the preferred have the same underwriting criteria anyway.

That said in the OP's case I'd put no stock in the CK score at all, and would take a hard look at my report too.  Income level matters for pretty much every credit card on the planet (some secured and rebuilder cards notwithstanding), and one of the last things I'd worry about was time on job.  In the current economy that plays little to no relevance for the most part especially if you can show solid payment history on the other tradelines.

My thoughts anyway.  I really have no idea if they loosened up the underwriting criteria vis a vis the Freedom, haven't seen many approvals for folks recently on that card other than people who are qualified for everything anyway... so having a pretty report is still extremely important.

        
Message 13 of 26
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@tin369 wrote:

I was looking at teh CSP online application and noticed that they now require just the applicant's income and time at job. Well My income is 50K and my time at the job has benn only 2 months. I am worried that they may decline me becuase of thse factors.

What has been your experience regarding income if not time at work.

www.whogavemcredit.com

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 14 of 26
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

Corrected link:  http://www.whogavemecredit.com/     Smiley Wink

Starting score: EQ FICO 8 702 (1/1/2012)
Current scores: EQ FICO 8: 763 / TU FICO 8: 760 / EX FICO 8: 765

Wallet: Chase Freedom 12K - Discover More 12K - Walmart 1K - Capital One MC 1K
Message 15 of 26
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

There is a big difference between 2 months at your current job and 2 months at any job (or a radically different job). If you were doing the exact same thing for 10 years at a different company, I doubt it will have any effect whatsoever. If this is your first job post college, most high limit cards are going to want to see more than 2 months of work history. What the job is also can matter. It certainly did for me during my Chase recon. The credit analyst specifically mentioned that being university faculty would help (presumably he recognizes how hard it is to get rid of usSmiley Tongue). I don't know if total income matters for every card, but since the csp is an NPSL card (or whatever the technical term is for the ability to exceed your limit with visa sig), it will presumably play a role with this one. Finally, hard to tell without knowing debt to income. 50k/year for someone who owes nothing is probably fine. Someone with 200k of student loans leaving deferral in 4 mos is a different story.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 16 of 26
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I was just reading about the CSP card today on about.com, and it said there was an income limit of $120K to qualify for the card.

I was shocked as I did not realize the Sapphire cards had such a high income limit. Maybe that card review is outdated?

http://credit.about.com/od/travelrewardscards/fr/Chase-Sapphire-Preferred-Card-Review.htm
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 17 of 26
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
I was just reading about the CSP card today on about.com, and it said there was an income limit of $120K to qualify for the card.

I was shocked as I did not realize the Sapphire cards had such a high income limit. Maybe that card review is outdated?

http://credit.about.com/od/travelrewardscards/fr/Chase-Sapphire-Preferred-Card-Review.htm

hahahahahaSmiley Very Happy   thats not true AT ALL lol ive seen somone with only 30k a year income get approved for the card

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 18 of 26
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I didn't think it was true...at least not at this present time. Maybe it was true some time ago...that's why I wondered if the article was outdated. Lol

I always thought about.com was a reputable place to get info.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 19 of 26
ajh5408
Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
I didn't think it was true...at least not at this present time. Maybe it was true some time ago...that's why I wondered if the article was outdated. Lol

I always thought about.com was a reputable place to get info.

CSP is a relatively new product, so the info probably isn't outdated, it's just wrong!

FWIW, it's generally well-accepted that Freedom Sig ($5K+), Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, and JPM Select all have the exact same credit criteria. Basically, if you qualify for a $5K+ line with Chase, you qualify for any of their in-house (i.e. Chase/JPM-branded) credit products, with the exception of Palladium.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.