cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does NFCU charge foreign transaction fees?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Does NFCU charge foreign transaction fees?

Does NFCU charge foreign transaction fees? I have to make an international travel next week. I know Amex Plat and CapOne does not charge. Not sure about NFCU.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does NFCU charge foreign transaction fees?

Yes they do!   ... that's why I got Addison Ave Platinum VISA (now First Tech).

Fee Free Foreign Transaction is Cap 1 and former Addison Ave Platinum VISA (not sure First tech offer same benefit for new customer or not)

Navy Federal Credit Union ® Credit Card Agreement and Disclosure

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/applications-forms/credit-debit/NFCU_573CC_NFO.pdf

Visa Check Card/CUCARD/Visa Buxx Card  

International Transactions—ATM and Point-of-Sale

Single Currency: 1% of the transaction

Transactions made in foreign/international countries and in U.S. dollars.

Transactions originating on U.S. military bases, embassies, consulates, and territories are excluded.

Multi Currency: .08% of the transaction

Transactions made in foreign/international countries and in a foreign currency.

Transactions originating on U.S. military bases, embassies, consulates, and territories are excluded.

Message 2 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

That is too bad. I got CLI on my card, but I have to stick with my Amex Plat / CapOne.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, NFCU has some negative service compared to other CCCs.   That's why I use my other ccs for the daily purchases instead nRewards and cashRewards, and I will use my First Tech VISA (Addison Ave Platinum VISA) if I ever able to visit my family. 

Message 4 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, NFCU has some negative service compared to other CCCs.   That's why I use my other ccs for the daily purchases instead nRewards and cashRewards, and I will use my First Tech VISA (Addison Ave Platinum VISA) if I ever able to visit my family. 

How difficult is it to get First Tech Visa? I'll be going to Med School in Aruba and continue work in US and travel back and fourth. I would not mind having another credit card that does not charge international transaction fees.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure ... I appd for Addison Ave Platinum VISA in Oct 2010 (almost a yr .. yes!) and they gave me highest of 10k CL.

Mine shows as "VISA Platinum Cash Rewards"

Sooooorrrrrry ... It looks like there is AF of $25

https://www.firsttechfed.com/LoansandCredit/Credit%20Cards/index.aspx?src=lac5

And it's not FREE any more ... they charges same as NFCU ... 1%.   

So, it's better to use NFCU cc when you travel.  Save your inq ~ IMO

Transaction Fees

1% of each foreign transaction,

regardless of whether the transaction is in U.S. dollars or in a foreign currency.

https://www.firsttechfed.com/website/pdf/VisaDisclosure_Combined_042811.pdf

Message 6 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Thanks. bunnyrabbit. I think I should be ok with CapOne / Amex Plat Cards. I beleive we can also use paypal debit card overseas with out foreign transaction fees. I need to look into it.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.