cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does NFCU hard pull for joining (membership) without credit application?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does NFCU hard pull for joining (membership) without credit application?

Just curious if NFCU does the same as Alliant and PenFed - hard pull for membership/savings?  I joined and app'ed for several credit products, so I'm not sure what inq's were for what.

Have a friend that wants to join (is qualified) but doesn't want to apply for credit or get hard inq because is planning to close on a refi in the next 60 days.  I couldn't say for sure on the inq for just joining and starting savings/checking.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
virgoprincess823
Regular Contributor

Re: Does NFCU hard pull for joining (membership) without credit application?

Doesn't look like they do a hard pull for opening an account. I have 2 hard pulls on my report from them , 12/08 applied for CC, and 06/09, applied for CC. I have soft pulls from 5/09 when they do their periodic review. I've been with them since 10/08. When I opened the account looks like they did a soft pull.

Message Edited by virgoprincess823 on 06-24-2009 07:17 PM
Message 2 of 10
mt2va
Established Contributor

When I joined I only opened a savings account & there was no hard pull.  This was back in March.  I think they have softed me since.  I have 3 hard pulls for my Visa, MC, & auto re-fi I'm working on.  (which sucks but if my re-fi is approved I don't plan to app for anything for a long time)

I've opened several bank accounts in the last 3-4 months (for bank bonuses) & found that most only do a hard if a checking account is involved.  I think I only had 1 do a hard for a savings account only. 

Message Edited by mt2va on 06-24-2009 11:11 AM
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 3 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

Just joined  RBFCU and they did a hard pull on TU.  They told me upfront that they would.  IMHO these days a checking account would get you a hard INQ.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined NFCU last month with savings and checking accounts. Did not have a hard inquiry for either account.
Message 5 of 10
lkcrew426
Regular Contributor

Has anyone had experience with this lately? I really want to join (no credit products yet) , but should be closing my mortgage within a month so didn't need a hard.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined two weeks ago.  No hard for the membership pull. 

Message 7 of 10
lkcrew426
Regular Contributor

Thanks!

Message 8 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

No hard or soft for me when I opened checking and savings this past fall.

This is an older thread that was brought current again to check for possible changes, btw.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy does an Equifax soft pull when you open accounts.

And when you apply for loans or CC, they do a hard Equifax-only pull usually I think, unless it is on ice then they will try to hard EX or TU.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.